Moen Temperature Override Kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Gruncle

Reaction score
I recently installed a Moen ExactTemp Valve in my shower, along with a Moen trim kit. The valve works fine, but I have a part leftover that I am hesitant to install, since I don't understand what it is for.

There is a red plastic threaded plug labelled "override screw" and a small packet of silicone grease. My assumption is that you grease this thing up, screw it into the handle and snap the plug over it. That's all easy enough, but I can't seem to find any information on what the point of it is. I already have temperature control with this valve, so I am not sure what this is "overriding".

Can anyone tell me what the function of this part is, and if it is even needed?

Here's a link to a Moen pdf that shows the plug on the exploded view: https://secure2.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/30/30a0f261-76f3-4b30-bfd5-9bbeeba0e570.pdf
And here's what is looks like:
part_p_852023_1193385865.gif

Thanks for your time!

Gruncle

Reaction score
OK, I got an answer from Moen and figured I'd share it here in case anyone else wants to know. Here is their answer:

"The purpose of the over ride screw is it allows the handle to turn past 105 degrees when it is pushed in."

I thought I could already go past 105 degrees, but whatever. I guess I'll go ahead and install it and see if there is any noticeable difference.

This appears to be an "optional" part that you install if you want full temperature control over the ExactTemp valve. I am guessing that is pushes against the stem of the ExactTemp valve and allows it to turn past a 105 degree stop.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the handle is oriented so it does not stop at 105 degrees then you will get hotter water. The override allows it to turn past whatever you have established as the normal upper limit.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can get over 105 without it installed, your valve may not be calibrated properly. Do the numbers on the dial reflect actual water temperatures coming out of the valve?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks