Search results

1. Zimm0who0net

Forgot to cement an ABS joint... now what?

So I finished my rough lines, went to pressure test and noticed a leak. Turns out I forgot to cement the whole damn joint. Here's a photo: That's a 3" to 2" wye. So I've tried to get it apart and I can't seem to . Probably not surprising given that it didn't blow apart with about 12' of...
  2. Zimm0who0net

Pressure testing new system - slow pressure loss

I've got a fairly small plumbing system that I just put in a guest house we're building. 2 bathrooms, a bar sink and a laundry. It's generally PEX-A with some copper stub-outs. To test, I turned the system on, then turned off the main ball valve and I've been watching for pressure loss. It...
  3. Zimm0who0net

Outdoor shower valves

So I'm wanting to put in an outdoor shower next to a CMU retaining wall I'm currently building. Most of the ones I've seen have simple individual valves for hot and cold. Like this: How does this not violate IRC P2708.4 (the code requiring pressure balancing mixing valves, etc). I don't...
  4. Zimm0who0net

How important are vents, really?

So a little over a decade ago I remodeled my house. The kitchen moved and the plumber decided that rather than saw cut a huge swath of slab he would go through the stem wall and underground to connect with the main sewer line running to the street. Inside, the line came through the stem and...
  5. Zimm0who0net

Gas line under slab...

Can someone clarify a few things for me. I have a poly natural gas line coming from the meter to a guest house about 120 feet underground. It needs to get to an outdoor water heater on the opposite side of a structure. Easiest path is underslab starting with the poly line and running...
  6. Zimm0who0net

How can I secure a ball valve

I've got two ball valves inside my house that I will be using to feed an outdoor shower. They've got 1/2" PEX fittings on each end. Inlet comes from the house water distribution and outlet goes into the slab and outside. So, I see (now) that I can buy a valve with a mounting flange. I...
  7. Zimm0who0net

Which water outlets should get soft water?

I’m building a guest house. I’ve run a line to it with softened water and another with plain water. I had planned to use the plain water for hose bibs, but it occurs to me that maybe some other outlets inside the house might benefit from plain water too. Toilets? Cold on the kitchen sink? What...
  8. Zimm0who0net

Calculating gas pipe size.

So I'm confused a bit on how to calculate gas line size when the there are multiple different sizes of pipe in the mix. I'm feeding a 150k BTU tankless water heater (that is the only thing on this branch). I've already got 125' of 1-1/4" poly. I've got another 25 feet to go inside the...
  9. Zimm0who0net

Wet vent to AAV for toilet

Can you guys check my work here. This is a new basement toilet, so this will route under-slab. Venting is troublesome here because there's floor to ceiling windows on the floor above, so I'd have to run a vent through a whole lot of joists and then get a chase through the concrete wall to get...
  10. Zimm0who0net

Does this drain layout look OK. Any advice?

Does this drain layout look OK? So my wife and I are building a guest house and we're trying to do just about everything ourselves. We're about to start framing and I figured I'd throw my drain layout here and see what you guys think. Here's a 3D view of the house: Here's the layout...
  11. Zimm0who0net

PEX to a guest house. do I need a copper riser?

I've got a 1-1/4" PEX line coming from my main house to a guest house (it's after the main shutoff). It obviously needs to surface through the slab and into the guest house. My drafter tells me to surface outside the guest house with copper, go through a shutoff valve, and then through the...
  12. Zimm0who0net

PE gas line UNDER a slab?

So I've got an underground 1-1/4" PE line coming toward my guest house and it needs to get to the other size to an outdoor tankless hot water heater (that's the only gas demand in the house). Here's an image: Coming in from the red arrow on the right and going to the tankless water heater (red...
  13. Zimm0who0net

Installing 3" drain in Joists during framing

So I'm looking at the drawings and there's a run of about 14' of 3" drain for a toilet that needs to run through the floor perpendicular to the I-Joists. The I-Joists are 14" high, 16"OC. So I'm thinking there's zero chance of finagling that 14' stretch in there, so I'm either building it...
  14. Zimm0who0net

Source of 7/8" IPS fittings

So I'm retrofitting a toilet valve as a fill for my pool. From the bottom of the valve I need to make a 180 degree turn so the supply can come from above the waterline. Easy, right? Just get two 3/4" PVC elbows and we're done! Too bad, the toilet valve standard uses a 7/8" IPS (14 threads...
  15. Zimm0who0net

Proper material for outdoor risers and manifold

So here's the setting: I'm in Southern AZ. We get about 5 nights a year below freezing. House is slab on grade with flat roof so changing any plumbing inside the house is a PITA. Currently the house is supplied with 1-1/4" PVC underground, transitioning to copper as it comes out of the...
  16. Zimm0who0net

Where can I tie a 4" branch sewer line in my front yard?

I'm putting in a drain to an auxiliary building. In my front yard I've got one of those double cleanout things (looks like a U where the upper cleanout is for going toward the street and the lower cleanout is for going toward the house). I'd like to tie into this line somewhere. I'm wondering...
  17. Zimm0who0net

Flex in 4" ABS

I'm putting in a utility trench with ABS and I need to bend around an obstacle. I need to bend out about 2' in a 20' span and then back again. I think that's a 26' radius (if my geometry skills still hold up). It's 4" ABS. Is this possible, or do I need to cut the pipe and put in fittings...
  18. Zimm0who0net

Mixing SDR35 and ABS?

So I've got an existing house with all ABS. I'm re-landscaping the backyard and putting in a pool and as part of that I'm having a utility trench dug for a potential guest/pool house I might built in the future. It's about 170 feet long. It's going to have sewer, water, electric and gas in...
  19. Zimm0who0net

Nearly punctured a 1 1/4" copper line

So, I've got a bit of a problem. While putting up some tile backer I accidentally drilled through a sole plate and hit a 1 1/4" copper pipe with a screw. As soon as I hit it I knew what happened and backed the screw out. It didn't actually puncture the pipe (i.e. it still holds pressure just...
  20. Zimm0who0net

Outdoor water softener in Arizona?

So I live in Tucson. We've got some crazy hard water down here. I had a rep from the water company over to my house the other day and she told me that the hardness is actually slated to --DOUBLE-- over the next 5 years as they transition to more Colorado River water. I figure it's time to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks