Proper material for outdoor risers and manifold

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
So here's the setting:
  1. I'm in Southern AZ. We get about 5 nights a year below freezing.
  2. House is slab on grade with flat roof so changing any plumbing inside the house is a PITA.
  3. Currently the house is supplied with 1-1/4" PVC underground, transitioning to copper as it comes out of the ground, through the main shutoff valve and into the house. See pictures here.
  4. I've got a trench dug to put in utilities to a future outbuilding. At some point I'd like to put in a water softener. Frequently those are put outside down here due to #1 and #2 above.
So what I'd like to do is build a manifold about 20 feet back from the current water entrance that will have ball valves for the main water service, and separate ball valves for the future water softener, the outbuilding, the pool, and the irrigation. (20 feet back so it will be behind the backyard wall and I won't have a big ugly water softener in the front of my house). Easy peasy. Just a bunch of pipes and valves.

So my question is pretty simple, what material should I build my manifold out of? PVC? Copper? Galvanized? If PVC, can I use those cheapo PVC ball valves, or do I need to go all in on the brass versions? This is the southern side of the house, so it'll get a lot of sun so if you say PVC, I'm sure I'll have to paint it. Any suggestions on insulation so I don't blow things up on one of those infrequent Tucson "deep freezes" (where it get's into the 20s at night Brrrrr.)

P.S. For those with a keen eye, I know that's the wrong type of backflow prevention device for the irrigation system in the second picture. It's all getting ripped out and replaced anyway..

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Choose copper. If you have more money, replace the main from PVC to copper as well.
As for the valves, choose good quality brass.

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
Oh, and aren't I going to have to braze the PVC to copper transition on where it's underground?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks