Calculating gas pipe size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
So I'm confused a bit on how to calculate gas line size when the there are multiple different sizes of pipe in the mix.

I'm feeding a 150k BTU tankless water heater (that is the only thing on this branch). I've already got 125' of 1-1/4" poly. I've got another 25 feet to go inside the structure. I'm thinking about necking down to a 1" CSST, but I don't know the proper math here to determine what size that last stretch needs to be. Could someone help me out here?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have charts that tell you "for pipe size X and flow rate Y, here is the allowable length" then what you can do is the following:

1) Diagram out the whole gas piping system from the regulator to the appliances. Show pipe types, sizes and lengths (including fittings as their equivalent length), and the demand flow from each appliance
2) Assume all appliances are using their full demand flow, and label each pipe segment with the resulting flow.
3) For each pipe segment at the labeled flow rate, look up the allowable length. Divide the actual length by the allowable length and label the segment with the result, e.g. as a percentage.
4) For each appliance, trace the route from the regulator to that appliance and add up all the percentages. If the percentage is under 100%, your piping system can provide the required flow rate to that appliance within the allowed pressure drop. If it's over 100%, enlarge a pipe segment and start over at step (3).

Cheers,
Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
P.S. As a simple example if there's just the one 150 kBTU/h appliance and just the two pipe segments you mention, then you need the allowable length L for 150 kBTU/h through 1-1/4" poly, and the allowable length M for 150 kBTU/h through 1" CSST. Then if the 125' and 25' figures include all the fitting equivalent lengths, you need:

125/L + 25/M <= 1

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks