Which water outlets should get soft water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
I’m building a guest house. I’ve run a line to it with softened water and another with plain water. I had planned to use the plain water for hose bibs, but it occurs to me that maybe some other outlets inside the house might benefit from plain water too. Toilets? Cold on the kitchen sink? What do you guys think?

By the way, I’m in Tucson. We have fantastically hard tap water here.

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
Not hard. Use soft.

Maybe.

Protect PEX from light, and protect your softener from sunlight. Use paint or other cover. You don't want algae growing, and you don't want the plastics to deteriorate from UV. You can buy the softener tank painted if outdoors.
Ok. So pretty much everything inside gets soft except maybe the kitchen cold. Maybe I’ll stub out a 3rd under the sink so I can easily swap between cold soft and cold hard if I change my mind.

thanks for the advice on the actual water softener. I still have not bought one yet although all the plumbing and electrical is routed and ready, it’s on the southern side of the house outdoors, and Tucson sun is BRUTAL.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok. So pretty much everything inside gets soft except maybe the kitchen cold. Maybe I’ll stub out a 3rd under the sink so I can easily swap between cold soft and cold hard if I change my mind.
You could add a third faucet, such as a beverage dispenser.

thanks for the advice on the actual water softener. I still have not bought one yet although all the plumbing and electrical is routed and ready, it’s on the southern side of the house outdoors, and Tucson sun is BRUTAL.
You could put the media tank and brine tank part way into the ground if it suits you. You might find pre-made barbecue covers etc that could then cover the system.

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
You could add a third faucet, such as a beverage dispenser.

You could put the media tank and brine tank part way into the ground if it suits you. You might find pre-made barbecue covers etc that could then cover the system.
Thanks. I’ll see if I can pull that off. Unfortunately I poured a pad over there thinking it would make a nice base for the unit.

Any advice for which brands hold up better in the sun?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks. I’ll see if I can pull that off. Unfortunately I poured a pad over there thinking it would make a nice base for the unit.
No worry. You should probably secure the outdoor tank to prevent tipping.
Any advice for which brands hold up better in the sun?
They all have plastic outside, so it should be pretty similar in that. I would prefer Fleck if you want to be able to do install or repairs yourself. Clack restricts who can buy parts and who you can buy from.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I would have both hard and soft water spigots on the outside of the house. Nothing like washing a car with soft water that would leave no spots.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
1980 called and wants its plumbing design back :)

We used to bypass toilets since they used 5+ gallons per flush. Modern toilets use less than 1.5 GPF so not big deal. No need to bypass. Kitchen sink, now that the math is in, for 99% no need to bypass. at 15 GPG hardness, you would only add approximately 25 mg sodium to an 8 ounce glass of water. This could be labeled as "Low Sodium" water. A tiny condiment pack of soy sauce has over 1000 mg. Definitely bypass irrigation. A car washing or window washing hose bib with soft water is nice.

Lifespeed

Reaction score
If ever there is a concern about having sodium-free water to drink, this is best addressed with an under-sink RO filter. No need to run hard water anywhere but hose bibs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks