Replacing a Mansfield 160 with a Toto Drake II or Ultramax

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by ADInosaur, Oct 10, 2018.

1. ADInosaur

ADInosaur New Member

I just purchased a loft condo and the toilets are pretty old and in need of replacement.

I would like to replace a Mansfield 160 with a Toto Drake II or Ultramax II.

The Mansfield bolts are 11" from the wall. Is is possible to fit either the Drake or Ultramax? Specs show both with 3/4" space from the wall on both so I'm worried 11" just isn't enough room.

I was trying to dig up specs on the Mansfield 160. I think it's a 12" flange toilet and hoping I can figure out if a Toto will fit.

Is it very hard to install a offset flange and buy myself an inch?

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The original Drake will install at 11" but not the Ultramax II or Drake II.
    Are you measuring to the wall? Or to the baseboard? Because I don't remember removing the Mansfield 160's with 11" roughs.

[​IMG]

Mansfield Alto 160
    I toss a lot of these.

[​IMG]

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. ADInosaur

ADInosaur New Member

So this is basically what I'm working with:

Measuring from the wall to the bolts. Looks like 11".

I definitely was hoping to find a way to get a Toto that had a more modern flush than the original Drake.

Are you anti-offset flanges or?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Some offset flanges are good. Some are bad.

But to install one, you have to go into the floor. It's not like an adapter between the existing closet flange and the toilet.

I had a flange with a 13+ inch rough. I made my own new closet bolt holes to fit the 12 inch Unifit to exactly the distance I wanted. I think you could do the same except have the new holes closer to the wall than the slots are. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....rance-with-14-unifit-and-offset-flange.66596/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Do not install an offset for that. It reduces performance.
    The 744 Drake series will work there.

7. ADInosaur

ADInosaur New Member

Yeah, I know an offset would be more of a pain to install. Just really was hoping to fit a Toto Ultramax II or Drake II into the space. Your method looks interesting. I guess I need to do more research on a Unifit. I know nothing about that.

Yeah, I just don't see the point in a Drake. The biggest reason I want to the Toto is for the tornado flush and that model doesn't have it.

8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    You might make it fit, but don't count on it for certain. The spec sheet says on a 'normal' install, there's 5/8" space behind the toilet. You can usually fudge 3/8" or so on the existing flange, but then, the back of the tank would be tight against the wall. Note, though, that that 5/8" is 'nominal', meaning it could be a little more or a little less. A flange's opening is in the order of 3" minimum, and the outlet of the toilet is 2-1/8", so you can move it slightly and still let it open directly into the outlet.

If the wall isn't perpendicular (i.e., plumb), that can either give you a little more room, or a little less.

The Vespin II is essentially a skirted Drake II. It does use the unifit. It normally has about 3/4" behind it, so same situation, with a slight bit more leeway. But, if it didn't work out, you could buy a 10" Unifit (it comes with a 12" one), and it would add two more inches behind and certainly fit.

9. ADInosaur

ADInosaur New Member

Thank you. Is there a recommended way to measure for the skirt and make sure that fits with the water supply?

10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    From the centerline of the toilet, where is your existing water supply? It would only likely be an issue if you tried to use the 12" Unifit, as then, the skirt would be almost tight against the wall along with the tank. If you bought the 10" Unifit adapter, you'd have nearly 2". At the worst case, you might need to swap the valve to an offset angle one. Dahl makes some nice ones. https://www.dahlvalve.com/products/mini-ball-valves/skirted-toilet-kits.php

11. slomoola

slomoola New Member

Looks like a 10" rough in to me. Your current tank is parked on the wall.

Those Mansfield 160's are good flushers. Don't be surprised when you "upgrade" with a Toto you are let down. Keep the Mansfield unless you need to save water for some reason? Earth is covered with 80% of it.