How to fasten kitchen sink handle (Delta?)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by eveplumb, Aug 29, 2020.

1. eveplumb

eveplumb New Member

Faucet handle came off of stem. I assumed that a hex set screw attached it, but no screw found, and the hole where I would think a screw would go doesn't go all the way through; plus I don't see threads (though it's very small; hard to see).

I tried an 8/32 and 6/32 screw; both seemed too big; but the 6/32 was very close. The hardware store I went to didn't have smaller diameter screw than 6/32. I believe this is an American Standard faucet (hole was covered with red/blue plastic logo). Could it be a screw with smaller diameter than 6/32"?

Any ideas? I'm now wondering if this doesn't use a screw, but attaches another way?

Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The Delta handle is held by an allen screw. It does thread all the way through when it's new. Some of the screw may have broken off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. eveplumb

eveplumb New Member

Thanks for the reply Terry. After you mentioned that the screw may have been broken off, I took a closer look, and now I think I know what happened: the screw is still there, but the hex head got badly stripped, so it appears round...I think the screw just got kind of welded in there. I'll try to replace the handle; probably no way to get the screw out now or otherwise use the current handle?

5. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

handel cheap ! ive drilled and retapped but wasent worth it

6. Terry H

Terry H In the Trades

Delta is good about their warranty system. I’ve had them cover and send me new faucets for things they shouldn’t have. I guess it’s worth a shot but that handle there won’t set you back much.