Drain pipe outside of kitchen sink on exterior wall

Users who are viewing this thread

boudro18

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, so thanks in advance for any help.

I was walking along the outside of the house today, and noticed that there is a hole in the wall leaking water at a pretty constant pace, straight onto one of my bushes. This hole lies directly under the kitchen sink on the interior of the house. When we run the sink, the water begins to pour out of the hole (pipe), but not at a fast rate. I checked under the sink and everything is dry as a bone, and the only pipe leading into the wall is the one that appears to go out to that hole in the wall. Now, my guess is that it's a vent of some sort, or access point for plumbers, but I'm not sure. Basically, I have two questions:

1. What is this random hole, and how do I plug it?
2. If this is a vent, would this be a direct indicator that the line is clogged, and would this be a 'drano and wait' job, or a 'call a plumber and get out the checkbook' job?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a cleanout access for plumbers, but if it is not running water as fast as it is draining from the sink it might just be "overflow" water, otherwise the drain is clogged and if you plug it the sink will back up.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a clean out and it should be capped. Find the cap that fits and install it.
If you notice that the sink is not draining as before, it will be time to take care of a blockage (but not with draino).

Newman2

Reaction score
My kitchen sink does the exact same thing. So you say not to use draino. What do you recommend?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hassle with drain cleaning chemicals is first, they don't always work, and second, if you call someone, their caustic nature can be dangerous and damaging to tools and people that have to work on it. For a clog, usually, a snake or a water jet is used to clear a line. If this is an older house, it could be that the line is literally been eaten through, and there's a hole(s) in the pipe. The use of chemicals can speed that up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks