Yet another 10" TOTO toilet recommendation request

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Strong son, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Strong son

Strong son New Member

Hi,

I have a small bathroom in Virginia. We have a Kohler Cimarron about 5 years old. We replaced because the previous toilet kept plugging. The Kohler Cimarron has been relatively good except for the last year or so when it is starting to block up more often even with minimal waste.

I am doing a bathroom remodel and decided to add in a new toilet to the mix. I think my best bet is to select a Toto and hope it does better than a Kohler.

Current toilet is: 10 in rough in, round bowl (about 17.5 in), and 17 in height (assume ADA).
    Thoughts: kind of like the 1 piecers, would prefer to do my own tank innards repairs myself, yes to soft close seat.

It seems to me I may want to stick with a 1.6 flush vs a 1.28 flush since I assume more water hedges my bet for a better flush long term. Based on TerryLove threads it seems the Drake (Drake II) or Ultramax (Ultramax II) may be best choices. I looked at Totos site and the filter for 10 in rough in gives me 0 results but I do see 10 in rough ins within some descriptions. Can someone suggest the model #s and such that might be best for my situation? Is there a toilet I am overlooking?

I really want the toilet to end all toilets.

Thank you..

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You might make sure the existing toilet is being refilled to its bowl limit.

You still might want a new toilet, but in the mean time, make sure the refill hose is pointing down the overflow and the fill valve delivers enough refill.

If the remodel is not changing the location of the toilet rough, these are the Toto choices: https://www.totousa.com/products/toilets#filters=rough-in:10150000000026367712

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Strong son

Strong son New Member

I definitely am going to replace it. The refill hose is in correct place.

I notice that the Drake CST744SF(R).10 (https://www.totousa.com/drake-two-piece-toilet-16-gpf-10-rough-in-elongated-bowl) shows that from the wall to the front of the toilet is 28 1/8 inches. This toilet seems to only come in Elongated. My current Kohler is a round bowl (or that is what the plumber said) and seems to have about an almost 2 inch gap between the tank and the wall and the distance from the wall to the front of the bowl is 28.5 inches. Looking at Kohler specs for the Cimarron they show about a 2 inch gap between the tank and the wall.

So my question is how accurate does my 10 in rough in have to be? Is it likely a Drake will not fit against the wall?
    The toilet I have now is about as long (from wall to end of toilet).

Thanks

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744ef.10.pdf
    shows about a 7/8 gap if the rough is 10. You can slide things a bit during install. If the wall and floor are not at right angles, that can affect things too. Use shims to adjust the angle if needed.

Position the shims when you dry-fit the toilet. Lift the toilet, place the wax, drop the toilet. Or maybe use waxless, and reposition as much as you want.

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The Drake II needs 11.5" to set.
    The 10" rough bowl would be the C744EF.10 which can come with either the 1.6 or the 1.28 gallon tank in the ST743 series.
    A 1.6 version of that would be CST744SF.10

A 12" rough-in is 12" from the wall to the center of the drain.
    A 10" rough-in is 10" from the wall to the center of the drain.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Please verify your actual rough-in. With 2" behind the toilet, they may have used a 10" rough toilet on a 12" rough-in flange!

The way to measure is from the center of the flange, often the toilet hold-down bolts to the finished wall (not the baseboard). Once you know that number, you can then decide what will fit.

8. Strong son

Strong son New Member

Thank you all for your helpful assistance with this most needed yet most delicate house hold device.

9. Strong son

Strong son New Member

I had the 10'' 1.6 Drake installed last week. Yet to put it to the test but I am hoping for the best.

Update 1
    About 3 months later there have been no problems. I read Terry's review that the
    wash/rinse of the bowl in this toilet is not the best. I agree. If that is the only problem over the next 10 years then I am fine with that. I also like the toto soft close seat. It is more comfortable than the one on my other toilet and it also seems to me this toilet has more room between front of the seat and where the human body starts.

Update 2
    Well we had a plug. I suspect paper being rolled into a ball. Not quite sure. So I got the plunger (I threw away the other 3 I had) and cleared it. Well got about 6 months with no clog. I will say that unclogging this toilet was a no-mess adventure. The Kohler the plunger never fit quite right and always splashed water out of the bowl. This toilet the plunger fit nicely and no splash.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019