What if tank-to-bowl gasket isn't made anymore? Eljer, 1958 toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

JanetThePlumber

Reaction score
My brother and I have inherited the home we grew up in, built in 1958, and are in the process of restoring it to its Mid-Century Modern glory. (Think "modern" like Johnny Quest or George Jetson.) One of the toilets (Eljer, 1958) needed a replacement gasket between tank and bowl bc it leaked on flushing. We took the gasket to a plumbing supply shop and got the closest thing, but those darned 4 "corner rests" (for want of a better term -- "nipples" didn't seem quite right to me for some reason) were not the correct height anymore. New gasket seems too thick and we had to jury rig those 4 corner rests to match the height but, ugh -- still leaking! My brother, bless him, wants to put a ring of caulking around the new gasket, effectively gluing the tank to the bowl. Jeez! It might still leak AND would be glued together! I'm stumped. How do we prevent an almost antique toilet from leaking if a new gasket is, like, totally unavailable? Can we make a gasket from -- something? We are highly motivated to keep/restore all old fixtures. Thanks for your help, y'all!

Composit house and toilet.jpg

JanetThePlumber

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry! That is exactly the part we are using now. Do we still need those 4 corner "rests" or separators? I should think so. But the new gasket is a hair higher than the old rests. The tank easily "rocks" front to back, hitting the wall without them, meaning the gasket is the "highest point" on the assembly. I imagine we still need those 4 rests to prevent the tank from rocking. But the right height is eluding us. Higher rests cause the new gasket to leak. Suggestions?

JanetThePlumber

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! I already added a photo with the original post. Here it is again. I appreciate your help!

Attachments

• Green Toilet Tank-to-Bowl gasket 2.jpg
    Green Toilet Tank-to-Bowl gasket 2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 287

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes looking inside the tank gives some clues as to what toilet that is, and how to find parts for it. I have not seen a bowl like yours.

JanetThePlumber

Reaction score
Ah, okay. I see. Inside the tank itself. Hmmm. Well, we live 80 miles away from this house but will be back later in the week to take another crack at it. I will upload an inside-the-tank photo later in the week?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Peterson

Reaction score
I've fixed one of these toilets before and I must say they are really good performers.

You have an Eljer Duplex toilet in Pastel Green. You can still get the tank to bowl gasket, just as pictured in the above post. I've seen them available at Lowes. It's a flat gasket and it just sits right in the flush valve opening on the back of the bowl. You can buy little baby beveled faucet washers to use for the little bumpers that go in each corner around the flush valve gasket. Those are to protect the tank from scraping up against the bowl.

Just set the washer on the top of the bowl inlet area, have the beveled faucet washers set in the little depressions, and set the tank right on and bolt it down and you should be good to go. There is a video on Youtube about assembling an Eljer Duplex together. It's relatively easy.

You can also use the Eljer Touch Flush assembly on this kind of tank if the guide wires are broken.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks