I can not get the tank to bowl gasket to fit on my Mansfield toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Miepie

Reaction score
I have replaced everything inside my Mansfield 160 toilet. I bought a new gasket off Amazon for the tank to bowl, It has the same number on it as the old one. I cannot get the gasket to set on the valve. I even tried the old one. So when I put it on and tighten the screws the tank leaks ( with the old or the new). I think it just isn't going on straight. I have looked at multiple videos and it seems that this gasket should kind of just snap on. But it doesn't... what do I do. This is the first time I have done a toilet repair. After spending all this money I think maybe a new toilet would have been the way to go!

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have replaced everything inside my Mansfield 160 toilet. I bought a new gasket off Amazon for the tank to bowl, It has the same number on it as the old one. I cannot get the gasket to set on the valve. I even tried the old one. So when I put it on and tighten the screws the tank leaks ( with the old or the new). I think it just isn't going on straight. I have looked at multiple videos and it seems that this gasket should kind of just snap on. But it doesn't... what do I do. This is the first time I have done a toilet repair. After spending all this money I think maybe a new toilet would have been the way to go!

I'm assuming you're using the big black spongy gasket and not the red one.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
pictures might help. are you sure it isn't the tank to bowl washers that are leaking.
We always double nut so the thru tank washers have a nut below the tank and we're not relying on the tank to bowl nuts to seal at the tank.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mansfield uses hard rubber type gaskets. I don't use those when they come in kits for mansfield. Grab a spongy one.

Mansfield in more ways than one, make a crappy toilet. My opinion.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mansfield uses hard rubber type gaskets. I don't use those when they come in kits for mansfield. Grab a spongy one.

Mansfield in more ways than one, make a crappy toilet. My opinion.
Agreed. I'm not a Mansfield fan. I think he'd have the best outcome if he went out and replaced the toilet with a nice $300-$350 American Standard Cadet Pro (buy it from the supply house, not home dopey)

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
at under $200 I have been exceedingly happy still, with the HDepot AStd Flowise Cadet 3 ada and special hq finish. just throw away the seat and junk closet bolts set. never clogs

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree. A new toilet would have been the way to go. have you tried going to home depot and buying one of those spongy "universal fit" tank-to-bowl gaskets?

You mentioned that you replaced EVERYTHING. If you replaced everything - and now, not even the old gasket will fit, it sounds like your new parts aren't the same size as the old parts. I suspect a universal tank-to-bowl gasket will fit the new parts.