Toto Unifit on Post Tension Slab

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Tuttles Revenge, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

We have a client that wants to install a Toto Aquia on a post tension slab. The Unifit requires drilling 4 holes into the slab about 1.5" deep. Not wanting to get someone out to radar the slab for cables which I'm not even certain he would be able to do a good job of locating inside of a toilet room. I'm considering setting the Unifit in epoxy. Would there be enough surface area to hold the toilet?

Or am I being too paranoid about the cables?

Bit of useless information.. A tower in seattle less than 15 yrs old was torn down due to defective PT cable installation.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The screws for the Unifit are much shorter than that.
    Some of those towers in Seattle have Aquia toilets now.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
  5. Tuttles Revenge

You're right Terry.. They measure exactly 1-1/8"... I think I should be safe.. We drill hangers in PT slabs to 3/4 all day without thinking about it and the cables are generally at the bottom of the slabs sitting on a mesh of rebar.. And likely we'll be drilling thru tile so we may hardly scratch the concrete..

I think I was thinking too much..

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    You might like something like this...https://walabot.com/diy it claims to be able to 'see' into concrete, and it's not expensive.

7. Tuttles Revenge

Hmm... I'll have to look at the walbot again. What I gathered from their site was that its just a fancy stud finder with an optical translation of what its sensing. I do have a rebar finder for that exact purpose too (just not the fancy screen) which I've successfully used in the past. Definitely worth looking at considering having radar done adds just under 2k in cost.

OH yeah.. just looking at the Walbot again.. they have different modes. One is Advanced mode which is basically the unedited data that the sensors are picking up.. ie a big blob on the screen. Once I saw that in the demonstration video, I knew that the unit was just a stud finder with a screen. Tho they now claim that the unit is good to see through wood/lathe and plaster which it couldn't do previously.