Toto Unifit question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason G

Reaction score
Have a Toto with a Unifit that's about 13 years old. About three years ago we started getting a sewage smell in that bathroom once in a while. As it's in a relatively unused part of the house, I figured it was dried traps and started running sink, shower, toilet occasionally. Seemed to help but this year it's much worse.

Nose test led me towards the back of the toilet, so I finally unbolted it and slid it off the Unifit.

The rubber gasket where the Unifit meets the toilet had dust on it. A good amount, too. The part towards the bowl was "clean" and I think it was making a solid contact but the left and right sides closer to the wall had about 1.5" of dust along them.

The gasket looks healthy otherwise. Can I just bead some silicone (or other sealant) around it and reassemble?

Selling the house soon. I don't want to screw up things for the buyer but I'm not sure this requires a pro.

Reach4

Reaction score
It seems unlikely that the Unifit was leaking.

I suggest you get some cheap plastic drop cloths, and isolate the toilet, lavatory, and anything else that you could think of. After a period of time, sniff under each to see where the smell is strong.

husky-drop-cloth-2.jpg

If you feel convinced that the toilet is the culprit, you could try removing the toilet, and cover the inlet of the Unifit with plastic and a rubber band. If the smell goes away, you might consider slathering the seal and the porcelain that goes into the seal with silicone plumbers grease. That won't be a problem for the new owner in the future. I suspect that the seal you suspect is not the cause.

You could consider re-doing the wax under the Unifit. That would normally not fail, but I guess that would be possible if you had had a clogged drain line, and plunged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks