Toto Drake - Loud refill

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Mrip541, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Mrip541

Mrip541 New Member

My new Toto Drake is quite loud as it refills. It's a strong bubbling gurgle as if half of what's going into the tank is air. Is this intended?
    https://imgur.com/a/itMdSQe

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    What kind of pressure do you have? Most codes require a pressure reducer if it's over 80 PSI

Mrip541 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Mrip541 likes this.
  4. Mrip541

Mrip541 New Member

Thanks! I don't know what my pressure is but closing the supply valve part way definitely improved things. I'll look into doing it the right way.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Partially closing the wall shutoff doesn't change the pressure, but it will slow the volume, and doesn't hurt. It can also make it easier later down the road to close the valve if it's not stuck tight up against it's fully open position. Higher pressure can cause the water to flow faster through the pipe and it will wear out the seals faster.

Mrip541 likes this.
  6. Mrip541

Mrip541 New Member

I bought a pressure gauge and I'm right at 60psi. I just replaced the fill valve and that solved the issue. Not ideal for a brand new toilet but it took 3 tries to get one that wasn't cracked on delivery so this seemed like the best solution.

Reach4 likes this.
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Toilets, made of porcelain, do not ship well. Long before Amazon figured out that I was a genius about the better toilets on the market, I was shipping from eight states. I was also breaking 20% of my shipments. Needless to say, I decided to quit doing that and concentrate on my local market. Hand delivery is the best for something that a Fedex or UPS driver can't lift. I see the little guys and gals driving by and laugh thinking that their only option is to push the damn toilet out the back onto the sidewalk and then claim that it was packaged wrong. I will be installing three TOTO Ultramax II's tomorrow and they will be perfect. My supplier is awesome at providing my with perfect products, and for me, a one-piece toilet is a piece of cake.
    I went skiing today with my son and grandson, and yes, I smoked them. Don't tell Jamie that though. Sunny and warm on Stevens Pass today, there were people skiing without shirts today.

Tuttles Revenge and Mrip541 like this.