Submersible pump pipe repair taken for a ride and need advice for future

Users who are viewing this thread

CollinChaffin

Reaction score
Hi pros!

First of all have to say of all the DIY forums I read, I have spent huge magnitudes of time here and you pros that help us DIYers out are great!

Sorry for length here but like folks to have a decent background when I ask a question nothing worse than someone asking a question without providing enough info, and (un)fortunately there is also already a bit of a story behind my questions.

Okay so I have a well that is 185ft and was just told that my pump sits at ~90 feet if that sounds correct. I have learned to do the AVC's about every 2 years from this forum but have still had waterlogged tank regularly and a pump that has certainly cycled far too frequently over the years - and before you ask, it was put in by prior owner just before they sold in year 1996.

Here's what happened, and where it is now - Symptom: Pump began short-cycling back to back.

Luckily, I am in by basement enough that I am very confident I caught this within no more than 1-2 hrs after it began. Shut off all water to house saw it was still draining pressure after pumping so I went in back yard opened the well cap with flashlight and sure enough, could already HEAR the water SPRAYING out of near the top of the pipe (that sits about 12 feet down that I had NO idea how to even get to). So, unlike every other repair I believe I (might) be able to DIY, since this sat a dozen feet down and I only once saw a big crane truck supposedly putting in a pump, I made what I believe now to be a huge mistake and just assumed this HAD to be a pro job and began making calls. And, as you pros know I'm sure, here in WI all the companies I called said that this would be at least a grand to pull up the pump and then supposedly because WI DNR required several water well tests performed any time a repair is done, that those tests total almost $300 dollars which helps basically ENSURE this would be at least a grand. That grand minimum was also to pull the pipe only to get to the top and replace the broken section and bleeders/checkvalves at the top - if they pulled it all and put in a new pump $2k was the cheapest quote and worse yet, if, because this was so visibly corroded at the very top near the metal adapter that it may fall, god forbid they had to "fish" for it because our DNR required they made "every reasonable effort" to get it out, blah. blah - basically kiss your wallet goodbye.

That's the background. Here's what happened and I post this only to hear feedback as to whether or not I should feel as frankly violated as I do, or whether there is a slim chance this is all normal. Either way, the 2nd and even more important purpose of this post is, after spending about 2 hrs reading MANY posts on this, to ask for help summarizing how I can do this myself in the future (if at all possible) with what is really required, etc. - Yes, I know this info is posted BUT it appears to change over time and I frankly have found several (of course) opinions and even requirements of everything to approach to equipment needed for possible DIY.

What happened is that they told me initially 2 guys were needed, and it was now up to $150/hr for the 2 guys and the "crane truck" charge and they anticipated it taking a couple to few hours, best case scenario. Since multiple well companies gave me similar numbers, I reluctantly agreed using one of the more advertised companies but one that I knew had been in business a very long time. I was told when they came and spent about 20 min looking at it on a prior day that the 2nd guy would help and he would have to "fashion a tool" to basically take a 2nd pipe and add a "latch" to "grip" the failing pipe down lower than the adapter as a secondary to ensure it did not break and if it did - would not fall down the well. All sounded logical.

They arrived in my driveway at 9am sharp. Literally to my amazement as I watched, within a couple min of work, and what was now only 9:35 on my watch, the pipe that was "most likely going to be a problem" was up and clamped off and he was, at 9:35, literally now installing the LAST of the bleeders. Yes, almost DONE. In the 35 min he had replaced the rotten top broken pipe section, and I did not see if just one or mult bleeders and I believe a single brass check-valve.

Ten more minutes, 9:45am, it was back in. Yes, they offered for another $1000+ on top to put in a replacement pump but by this time I had asked, if we were only at 45min and was reminded that with a almost $300 water test, some "shop time" he "had into it already", etc. somehow I was still as almost the grand discussed (this is the moment I felt raped) but of course we'd see when he added up. Being a single dad with 2 sick babies at home and this being an out-of-budget emergency repair, had it been the $800-1000 up from a couple-few hundred we SHOULD have been at of course I would have opted for a full pullout and new pump, but now hearing it was a MINIMUM of 2k total if I proceeded with a pump, I had to reluctantly opt to risk having to pay the 2k on top of this to re-pull it later. Since my pump was still pumping strong, I rolled the dice.

So, of course when, at the 1hr mark I questioned lightly why the hourly rate of $200 he just stated was up from the $150 total crane truck charge with the same 2 guys that their office girl had quoted me not once but three times as I asked and re-asked over the phone to clarify the rate when we scheduled on a Monday because I was able to flip my breaker on and off at brief intervals and actually WAIT all the way until the FRIDAY to accommodate their schedules. Since guy #2 on the truck was one of the company OWNERS, when he stated she was "wrong" and it was "more with 2 guys not the $150 you were quoted but $200"....I felt totally backed into a corner (raped) since the friggin work was already DONE. They then of course still needed to (believe it or not they had done everything without EVER entering my home to check the breaker I told them was off or look at at THING), they came in found the points on the pressure switch slightly burned on one side and told me it needed replacing (and just proceeded to do it without asking if I approved and by this time I just felt defeated), I let it go since I knew it was old and was certain they were cheap since I have SEEN them at the HW store. Pump fired right up, pumping strong enough they said they were "surprised" was actually able to cycle all the way off with the garden hose running full blast to flush the iron. End state - everything working 100% perfectly and everyone was happy WITH THE WATER.

....CONTINUED BELOW.......

CollinChaffin

Reaction score
....CONTINUED FROM ABOVE.....

The receipt - $135 in "parts" for a piece of pipe, maybe a bleeder, maybe a check valve, a pressure switch, and a Schroeder valve he added to my AVC to add some air. Another $99 of time PRIOR TO COMING OUT to MAKE THE TOOL (a pipe section with a grabbing clamp welded to the side) that, after hearing he had been doing this over TWENTY YEARS I actually softly stated like 3 times to try to discourage them from going through with this king of dishonest BS that "after 20 years this can't be the first pipe you've had to clamp and hold steady from the side like this, right?".....according to him it was and he still charged me - first time I have EVER been charged for someone to bring the right tools to the job. After the very much dragged out inside "work" of the switch and Schroeder crap that somehow added a full hour, after everything they pulled out of my driveway at exactly 10:45am, had charged for a rounded-up TWO full $200 hrs, the $135 parts, the $99 tool creation, and the almost $300 for a FUTURE water test next week that hasn't happened yet. $951 and they charged my CC THAT DAY....couldn't even wait and that was after I nicely called the office manager girl back who had quoted me after they left to ask her that before she ran the CC confirming she certainly remembered quoting and re-quoting the $150/hr rate SHE AGREED said she's mention to the owner but "didn't know if he's do anything about it"...What?!?.....$951 was charged to my card just under 2 hrs after I hung up with her the same day. I guess I have now prepaid for this absurdly priced water test and have to trust they actually do it next week.

One more note to further need to knock on wood that this pump is still going this strong (3/4 hp), is that I now know from the pullout why my tank was pretty much waterlogged 100% of the time for YEARS (I cannot remember how many YEARS it has been since I heard ANY wisp of air coming into my tank).....of course - 2 bleeders were clogged according to him, and then the top pipe under adapter galvanized had rotted to point of almost breaking off, well of course it started as probably a pinhole YEARS ago and THAT is where my damn tank air was going long before the bleeders clogged...right out the hole at the very top! Now, the length of runtime for drawdown is AMAZING and nothing I have seen in many many years - great news but it's a miracle the prior owner apparently installed a friggin SUPER-pump, LOL!

So, to the 2 points of this story/post (thanks for hanging in there with me!):

1. Does this cost and experience sound "typical" to you pros? Advice? I would have shouted from a mountain to my neighbors and anyone I knew how great they were had they not acted like total thieves after they left I was (and am still) VERY tempted to just start a CC dispute on this right now and get the required water testing done myself for the DNR (I'd have to see if that's even legal). I certainly would NEVER use them again and will absolutely warn anyone I know about this who utters the words "well pump" or "plumber" to me to save them this treatment.

2. If.....I mean WHEN my SUPER-pump finally fails....I really might want to do it myself now that I saw these jokers pull this thing up in under 30 min and that was while hanging by a thread/broken pipe. Not knocking the pros that much of this stuff isn't hard I know it can be, but I also do not believe that I should have to pay almost $1000 for literally an HOUR of work - EVER AGAIN. My divorce lawyer didn't charge me that and I won't pay a plumber this EVER again.

With that said, I have gotten a few things on the list as if I would have had to DIY this repair over myself. I realize a new pump is different and a more, but from reading the forum it's hard to tell HOW MUCH more. Yes, it's the full 90 feet to pull out and I'd need probably 3 guys total to be safe. Not sure about renting a "pullout" tool, I have literally seen posts here saying they can be rented then later the same person says they spoke wrong and that "tool" does not exist. Does it? Is there not some type of tripod one can rent with anything from a winch to a manual comealong attached with pulleys etc. that a DIYer (or pro) can use that's not quite that full crane mounted to the back of a pickup truck? In a world where you can rent just about anything I hope they exist. If so, who rents them?

So at least now it's a "typical" pullout scenario assuming nothing new has suddenly rotted. So, the clamp, the new PVC pipe, bleeders, check valves per XX feet, the pump itself, and.....if one of you that had done this before were to come and DIY a 3/4 pump sitting at 90 feet in a 185 well and replacing all the stuff I (should) replace...they also kept saying "their pumps arent like the ones sold at menards" which is BS I've also heard before and their pump PART cost is literally $800+ for a 3/4hp.....what is a ballpark in today's costs of what that would cost YOU to do it yourself, vs their $2,000 estimate starting from scratch like me including everything you would need in tools pump and parts?

I am MUCH more confident now if I had to re-do THIS repair of something in the top 20 feet because it frankly was learning from example and once I SAW that okay wow that top piece on the pipe is an ADAPTER and the plumber just needs to bring their own pipe section with a threaded adapter that screws into it and THAT is how to get to that broken part......combined with this forum now it's not so scary! The hardest part of what I watched in those 35 min for me would have been finding 2 guys with free time to help me pull it up and hold it steady to clamp it down.

Yes, I wish I had come here first to ask these questions before ever hiring anyone. Any proactive help for the future now thought is very much appreciated!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your well guy made it look easy. $300 for the well test is probably about right. I didn't realize that Wisconsin made you test the water, but that's not on your driller. So the bill was really $951-$300 = $651. If the guys saved your pipe/pump from falling in the well consider that cheap. I just priced a pump hoist similar to the one your describing, $85,000 and that is on the low end. Two guys, tools, truck, overhead etc. Just because they did the job faster than you thought doesn't mean they weren't worth it.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Like said above, take out the 300 for the test and 651 isn't too bad for the job.... BUT It is very dirty to change the hourly rate on you; I would complain to the company again; give them a chance to make it right. If they don't proceed to the contractor board or BBB. I would also check out about the water test requirement and insist they come back promptly and do it since you have paid for it. Here in VA....not many companies follow this, but it is illegal for a contractor to do ANY job without a written contract ahead of time; even a pump pull. The contractors board has a very detailed list of things required on contracts; price, description of work to be performed, change order terms, payment terms, etc....basically all the rights of the customer and the contractor.

We get $150/hour for 2 guys and pump truck. We have $250 min charge if the truck goes out, but I don't pad it if the job goes quick...I charge about 85% of list price on pumps and tanks and a little higher than retail on small parts and fittings.

I think if you dig around in the regs, most states require a bac-t test after a pump change. Here in VA---nobody does it....except on public water systems. My local lab charges $40 for a 3 day turn around bact-T...I just tell people it should be done and where to go. If somebody really wants me to do a test I charge 250-300 depending on how far the drive is; but I urge them to do it since it's so easy.

I would charge about $1500 to pull your 3/4HP and install new stainless pump and 90' new pipe and wire. There are lots of guys around me that would do it cheaper and a few that would charge a little more. If you get rid of the steel pipe and put this in on poly, it will be an easy DIY job.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
PS...The pumps they sell at Big Box stores are absolutely not the same ones a pro would use. They are built much cheaper and consequently won't last as long.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
"Bust a deal, face the wheel." If someone quotes me 150 bucks and hour they better stick to it. But having said that a pump company is not making any money at 150-200 bucks and hour. That will usually just barely cover expenses. They make money on the markup for equipment. And if you don't need anything but a piece of pipe and a bleeder, there is not much to work with. You should also remember while they were fixing your problem, they could have been doing a new pump install job for someone else and be making some money. None of us do this for our health, we do it to make a living.

I don't like that they changed the hourly rate on you. But the price is still a bargain for what they did. Divide everything you spend on a well over time by the number of gallons it produces and it will nearly always be less than buying city water. It just hits you in big chunks instead of 55 dollars a month for life like city water.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I can't find anything about that requirement for a test by the well people. That does not mean there is not a county where they put in such a requirement. I would be skeptical. Without considering the initial discussions, the price paid, not counting the test, sounds rather reasonable to me.

I think that deep well work is best done by professionals. You could drop something. You or a helper could be injured. You could have taken weeks to get things working right. However I think well sanitizing is good for DIY. I like to use a more thorough procedure that takes a lot of time. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ Many counties provide test services themselves, and they may come out and draw the sample. County testing is usually only for health things (bacteria primarily), where a lab test also tests for things like hardness, iron, manganese, arsenic and more, and it provides numbers. Anyway, I would think that it makes sense to do health testing at some later time after sanitizing, and not right after well work was done.

http://www.vernoncounty.org/PH/Services/water.htm is one county that offers testing, for example. I would not bother with SRB and IRB testing. I just presume they would be positive for a well that has not been sanitized for years.

Your county would be the place to ask what the local requirements are, but even without requirements, I would sanitize and then do testing 2 or more weeks later. For my own sample, I like http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/

Last edited:

CollinChaffin

Reaction score
Like said above, take out the 300 for the test and 651 isn't too bad for the job.... BUT It is very dirty to change the hourly rate on you; I would complain to the company again; give them a chance to make it right. If they don't proceed to the contractor board or BBB. I would also check out about the water test requirement and insist they come back promptly and do it since you have paid for it. Here in VA....not many companies follow this, but it is illegal for a contractor to do ANY job without a written contract ahead of time; even a pump pull. The contractors board has a very detailed list of things required on contracts; price, description of work to be performed, change order terms, payment terms, etc....basically all the rights of the customer and the contractor.

We get $150/hour for 2 guys and pump truck. We have $250 min charge if the truck goes out, but I don't pad it if the job goes quick...I charge about 85% of list price on pumps and tanks and a little higher than retail on small parts and fittings.

I think if you dig around in the regs, most states require a bac-t test after a pump change. Here in VA---nobody does it....except on public water systems. My local lab charges $40 for a 3 day turn around bact-T...I just tell people it should be done and where to go. If somebody really wants me to do a test I charge 250-300 depending on how far the drive is; but I urge them to do it since it's so easy.

I would charge about $1500 to pull your 3/4HP and install new stainless pump and 90' new pipe and wire. There are lots of guys around me that would do it cheaper and a few that would charge a little more. If you get rid of the steel pipe and put this in on poly, it will be an easy DIY job.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys! So, I was told (by the company owner no less) while on site (after he personally raised the rate by 50/hr after the repair was done and they were dropping the pipe back down) - that this almost $300 water test would be a sample taken inside, at the tank, and it would be the following week. It is as of today, 14 days later and I haven't heard a word. We did have the holiday last week in there, but regardless, from a 20+yr veteran suddenly charging the extra $100 for "shop time" prior to coming out to "fashion the tool" which was a pole with a friggin clamp spot-welded to the side to "grab" hold of the pipe, to coming inside and charging $100 to replace a pressure switch without asking my approval and making it mandatory, the whole things just wreaks of dishonesty, and from supposedly such a reputable company, no less.

EDIT: I actually did some more research and found (and subsequently confirmed) the answer to the water test requirement specifically in the state of WI after speaking to a local water specialist in the WI DNR. It is here:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/nr/800/812/III/41/3/a

And does state that yes, the repair company can certainly allow the homeowner to act as the agent performing the water collection, but does state that in the end, the water test responsibility lies on them - which in turn the DNR person agreed was certain can certainly be used by the well company to simply state as a "company policy" that they would not allow a homeowner to perform the test collection and testing itself and also that yes, it is approximately a $30-$40 test start to finish that with their time is marked up TEN FOLD to the almost $300. He did, however, also have a lot of experience with this company I used and reminded me that there is another overall owner and urged me to reach out to him to explain this experience that will at the very least in the end result in me going from shouting from every mountain top to my neighbors and everyone I know that if you have a well in your home and need service, this is the company to call, vs. this type of experience where it is the opposite and I'm warning everyone I know and detailing this kind of dishonesty. I've both owned and managed many companies in my almost 30yr career and personally, opting for the latter over a difference of a few hundred dollar squeeze that will now certainly be guaranteed to only be a one-time hit.....is just a bad business decision. Even without the sudden rate change post-work, when I saw the "super tool" that after 20+ yrs this veteran well guy supposedly didn't already have in his arsenal of tools, and that I was being charged $100 for "pre-shop-time" was really just a pole with a spot-welded c-clamp and just happened to be friggin RUSTY (that he quickly covered up) that was supposedly just created that AM.....I knew I was in for a ride. I really have NO issue paying hundreds of dollars (or whatever the going rate) per hour for a professional's time, as long as they are honest which is why I called this company and DID ask all the right questions to begin with, but you guys are absolutely correct in that no way in the future would I not have another job estimate WRITTEN up to be able to then use for apples-to-apples competing quotes!

Thanks again for all your feedback, I love hearing the different sides!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A happy customer won't tell a sole, but an unhappy customer will tell everybody. Most contractors know this and will do their best to keep everybody happy.

CollinChaffin

Reaction score
I do want to add for those who say I "got off easy" because of all the bad stuff that COULD have happened though and how expensive any well pump job "usually is".....I fully realize what this can add up to but that argument is still total BS for what happened here.

....and here's why translated to my professional service that demonstrates it well....

If I used that approach and came out to someone's home as a consultant let's say to fix your computer (just as a simple example as I have led designs for worldwide networks) and I quoted you $150/hr on the phone and even after making one visit to look at it still gave an estimate of a couple hours and that it certainly "could" get bad if I encountered any number of many possible issues, cranked up the fear factor, etc.

Then, you watched me restore your system in 36 min to a condition you were happy with, but wait - I proceeded to keep working for another hour, installing $100 in anti-virus software and another $200 for a brand new keyboard and mouse (stating I think yours looks like it needs replacing) - but none of which any govt regulation states is a requirement of the repair, then and ONLY THEN near the END of the job you look at me to confirm that "wow great, you're SO fast it's not even a full hour yet" I looked back at you and remind you "I've done MANY JUST LIKE THIS" but even after having SEEN your computer once on the initial visit I tell you now that "oh, you had a PC not a MAC, so that rate is $200/hr" and also in the same sentence that "oh, BEFORE I CAME OUT I also spent an hour creating this rescue disk I'm using to restore your files - this is a REAL SPECIAL ONE I needed here", and then you asked me "how long have you been doing this" and I answered "28 yrs" and then after spending an HOUR unboxing the keyboard and mouse that you NEVER APPROVED -- finally at the 1hr+42min mark I hand you the bill for $1000 and remind you that, IF you had wound up having a virus or god forbid a drive failed while I restored - well then you would have spent $2000 for a new computer and that's "typically" what these visits cost anyway, so BE THANKFUL and pay me the $1000, are you plumbers that aren't I.T. guys honestly telling me you wouldn't feel totally SCREWED but would honestly feel "thankful" and just happily pay me the $1000?!? Boy, if so and you are running a plumbing company I BEG you to hire me to work on your infrastructure, LOL! :)

I absolutely know that what you guys do isn't easy and you know how to make it look like it is - trust me, that's why I called one of you guys. And yes, i get that almost $300 of this is an apparent mandatory DNR water test that absolutely COULD be allowed by me for $40. But, trust me what I do is pretty friggin complex too and very few I've seen can do it but despite that, I have never or would ever lie to customers like that! Hopefully you don't, either. :)

I know that especially a 1st time customer like I was in this situation would probably be a customer for LIFE if treated fairly, so for me that's when I usually would be cutting them BREAKS - and I have - and people really do tend to remember that too and spread the word of that almost as much as when they're taken for a ride!

CollinChaffin

Reaction score
The DNR guy confirmed it is well within the law to allow me to run the $30-40 test myself, so this "honest" company that claimed they would try to bring it in cheaper for me certainly didn't try but having done a lot of past legal work myself, after analyzing this the tool creation is enough that I might just opt to take this company to court now and dispute this charge. They, in essence, have charged me to supposedly create the very rusty old looking pole with the welded c-clamp for the $100 hourly rate plus parts, yet the "tool" was not left here and since they now opted to pre-charge my card for 100% including a future unperformed water test, the tool that I technically paid for in both parts and labor was not provided to me but instead kept for a supposed addition to this tech's tool collection.

What really gets me here is that you kind of cannot have your cake and eat it too and state you've done this "exact kind" of repair hundreds of times, over the course of 20+ yrs, but then say you don't have the only tool a person would EVER need for a friggin repair like this and charge me $100 to create it....and I'm sure charge the next guy, and the guy after that. I mean I just imagine the elderly people being taken by this douche with this kind of crap and the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards fighting the whole thing in court myself.

I only gave them my card to put on file I even phoned the dumb office girl who mis-quoted the rate all those times an hour after they left that day and she STILL didn't even deny it to me and just said "I'll tell the owner, but I don't know what he'll do about it"........"do about it?" Wow. How about be honest. Nope, that's when I saw my card fully charged less than an hour later, even for the $300 water test that STILL isn't completed.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am guessing that you are probably in a far suburb of Milwaukee or Madison. Most of the well companies there will not come out unless they are going to make $700-800 on a job. It is unfortunate that their ability to explain that is so poor that instead of sounding expensive, they just sound like they are cheating their customers.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am guessing that you are probably in a far suburb of Milwaukee or Madison. Most of the well companies there will not come out unless they are going to make $700-800 on a job. It is unfortunate that their ability to explain that is so poor that instead of sounding expensive, they just sound like they are cheating their customers.
When you put it that way, it does sound like they are cheating their customers.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
When you put it that way, it does sound like they are cheating their customers.

It might sound that way, but in today's economy when there are a limited number of specialized service providers, the price is often whatever the market will bear. If you call for an ambulance, it does not matter what is wrong, they will send a special vehicle with a trained EMT. You will get a substantial bill. Well pump service is not so different. The cost of doing business is high, and there is not much in the way of competition.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks