Shallow well jet pump runs continuously only making 35psi on gauge with 30/50 switch

Users who are viewing this thread

TryingToLearn

Reaction score
Last week I went to my mothers house to do the routine sediment filter change and noticed that the pump was running when no one was at home. I checked outside and inside the house to make sure everything was closed, which they were. As I took the top off the well house the pump had just turned on and I watched the gauge that is attached to the pump. It would build up to 50psi, shut off, and then drop back to 30psi in about 2 minutes and turn on and run to 50psi and repeat. The pump and switch was replaced 1 year ago due to the failure of a 10 year old pump by a licensed company. I proceeded with the filter change that had not affect on how the pump was acting. When my mother and sister got home I told them what I was seeing and that they should have someone come out to inspect it since my knowledge is limited on the system. The company that did the work before could not get anyone to the house for a few days so they contacted another company. The technician that came out said that it was likely a bad foot valve and got the go ahead to change it. When he pulled the two hoses out of the well, the ejector assembly had rusted with small holes in it and the foot valve was stuck in its position. He changed the ejector and foot valve, primed the pump, checked the air in the pressure tank, and now the pump will not go above 35psi and will not turn off automatically. He had never seen this and finally called the manufacturer of the pump for assistance. After a lot of troubleshooting they are saying that the pump is bad and cant build up the necessary pressure to activate the switch when it clearly was before parts where changed. Could I have caused a problem by messing with the filter when there was an issue? Is there something that he is overlooking? Or is this just bad luck to have a 1 year old pump go bad in this instance?

Reach4

Reaction score
Your cartridges filter is after the pump, so that did not cause the failure to build pressure.

After the pump and pressure switch and pressure tank, there should be a valve. Closing that valve would have isolated the house, and could have been an easy troubleshooting tool. In this case, it would not have affected things.

Wouldn't a 1-year old pump be under warranty?

But I also suspect that the problem is with the new stuff down the well. The jet could be partially clogged, for example.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Was the ejector (and jet) replaced with the identical ones for that specific pump, or was the ejector and jet replaced with something 'close enough' that he/she happened to have in the truck?

TryingToLearn

Reaction score
@ Reach4, the pump is supposed to be under warranty and the tech is supposed to be working the RMA but it seems to be taking a long time. He also speculated that the new assembly at the bottom of the well reclogged when the pump was primed but it was never pulled back out because of weather and being late in the evening.

@ Bannerman, the ejector was replaced with a universal assembly since he didn't have one specific from the manufacturer of the pump currently installed.

Bgard

Reaction score
The ejector has an orifice and Venturi tube that is supposed to be matched with the pump and the pumping depth, I don’t think that there is a “ universal ejector “

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks