Romex to THHN conversion in house junction box

Users who are viewing this thread

joeyd0315

Reaction score
Hello,
i am hooking up a hot tub. At first i though of 6/3 Romex for main panel to subpanel attached to house outside, then THHN in 1" conduit another 15 feet to hot tub. But the last 4 feet inside travels in a bay over a finished section of the basement ceiling, so i cannot reach in there to staple/mount the romex, and even if i could, it eventually needs to travel through the wall, and up 2 feet outdoors to subpanel, which would require conduit through the wall and up 2 feet outside. I know i cannot strip the Romex and put into the conduit, but is there a distance limit where this is allowed?

I can extend the conduit into the 4 foot bay from outside, but if i strip the shielding off , the wires are not labeled so not code conforming. Do i need to have a junction box at the start of the 4 foot finished ceiling to terminate the Romex, and start the THHN going the 4 feet inside, and the 2 feet outside, all through the conduit?
What exactly does a junction box look like here? is it just a casing mounted on the joist, and use threaded twist connectors inside? Or does it need some type of termination bars, in and out?
Any help is appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The junction box can be a standard electrical box of sufficient size based on the gauge and quantity of conductors entering it. Then, appropriate sized wire nuts. You need to use the proper clamps or adapters on the entry to the box.

Stuff

Reaction score
The NM-B cable (Romex is a brand name) does not need to be secured/stapled if fished through walls and ceilings.

Generally you would mount a weatherproof junction box on the outside of the house and the NM-B would come in through the back. There you would transition to THWN/PVC to outside panel.

WoodenTent

Reaction score
If your conduit doesn't terminate in a panel, box, etc at both ends, then it's not a conduit, it's just a wire protector. As was mentioned, you can go thru your wall, mount an LB there and change to TWHN, the NM-B would be fine going thru the conduit to where you can access it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks