This is fixed - A guy left extra cable in the ceiling and a hole in the joist not in the middle - how to solve this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
1. I opened the portion of the ceiling to find out a guy who worked before left extra wire just loose - I will have this inspected - so how do I fix this so it passes inspection?

2. He put a hole in 2x6 to run a 14-2 cable through but instead putting it right in the middle he put the hole at 4 and 1/2 inch so only 1 inch left between cable and bottom of the 2x6 - to my knowledge there should be at least 1 1/4" space between cable and bottom of stud - so if I put nail plate -- will that be ok code wise?

3. Please look at 2nd pic - is there anything wrong with what he has done? Two 12-2 NM cables stapled under one 3/4" staple on one joist and than they take almost 90 degree turn and terminates in jn box on another joist which is 16" on center
so 2 questions - can you staple two 12-2 UF cables under one 3/4" staple and another - cables on one joist and jn box on adjacent joist is ok?
20231226_103133.jpg
20231225_213556_mfnr.jpg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I opened the portion of the ceiling to find out a guy who worked before left extra wire just loose - I will have this inspected - so how do I fix this so it passes inspection?
I'm not clear exactly what you are describing. If the cable is connected at both ends and powered up, then the only issue in the above is that the NM cable needs to be supported every 54" along its length. [If the initial install was done by fishing the cable, that wouldn't have applied.] So you could form one or more loops of perimeter at most 108", wide enough to touch the joists on both sides of the joist bay, and staple the cable loop to both joists.

Also he put a hole in 2x6 to run a 14-2 cable through but instead putting it right in the middle he put the hole at 4 and 1/2 inch so only 1 inch left between cable and bottom of the 2x6
The bigger problem here is that the the prescriptive allowance for holes in joists specifies a diameter of at most joist depth D/3, and at least 2" clear from the top and bottom edge. So the correct solution is to kill power to the circuit, disconnect one end of the cable, suitably repair the joist, redrill the hole at the correct place, and then reinstall the cable.

However, that would be a lot of work. A repair without removing the cable could be devised, e.g. a suitable length of suitable thickness 1" angle iron to reinforce the 1" thickness of wood between the hole and the edge of the joists, with a suitable number of SDS fasteners to connect the angle iron to the joist on either side of the hole, but the prescriptive code won't tell you how to design that, you'd need an engineer.

So if it's just one bad hole on one joist that is holding up only a ceiling with no attic storage above, it might be reasonable to ignore this issue. Not sure it's worth removing more drywall to install a nail plate, either, as the purpose of the nail plate is primarily to protect the cable while the drywall is hung. Seeing as how future nail penetrations through the ceiling drywall are less likely that future nail penetrations through a wall (hanging pictures, etc.) But if the joist edge is going to be exposed anyway, yes use a nail plate.

Cheers, Wayne

Curiousv

Reaction score
Ok putting a nail plate - is not an issue at all. I think that will make it code compliant.
For the extra length of cable -
This 14-2 NM cable is connected at both ends and terminates in to jn box at both ends.
It is also stapled at every 4 1/2 feet - but not sure what exactly you mean
I should make loop one big loop and one end of the loop attached to one stud and another end at another stud correct?
joist/studs are 16" on center
I added another pic - please answer that question as well.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is also stapled at every 4 1/2 feet - but not sure what exactly you mean
If it runs through holes in the joists for any distance, that would be unusual. Passing through a hole in a joist counts as a support, so there would be no need to staple it as well.

So maybe you are saying that most of the run is alongside a joist, and it is stapled to the side of the joist every 4-1/2 feet or more often, but then the cable turns and goes through a hole in a joist? And you have a bunch of slack between the last staple and the hole?

The 4-1/2 feet supporting requirement should apply along the length of the cable. So if the cable length between the last staple and the hole is less than 4-1/2 feet, you don't have to do anything. You can add another staple or two to take up the excess length (zig-zag between joists, or make a loop like I suggested) and keep it from flopping around if you like (I would), but it's not required.

If the cable length between the last staple and the hole is more than 4-1/2 feet, then you do should add staples.

Cheers Wayne

Curiousv

Reaction score
If it runs through holes in the joists for any distance, that would be unusual. Passing through a hole in a joist counts as a support, so there would be no need to staple it as well.

So maybe you are saying that most of the run is alongside a joist, and it is stapled to the side of the joist every 4-1/2 feet or more often, but then the cable turns and goes through a hole in a joist? And you have a bunch of slack between the last staple and the hole?

The 4-1/2 feet supporting requirement should apply along the length of the cable. So if the cable length between the last staple and the hole is less than 4-1/2 feet, you don't have to do anything. You can add another staple or two to take up the excess length (zig-zag between joists, or make a loop like I suggested) and keep it from flopping around if you like (I would), but it's not required.

If the cable length between the last staple and the hole is more than 4-1/2 feet, then you do should add staples.

Cheers Wayne
Ok - some confusion here
Cable with slack and cable that run through the hole are totally different cables
Cable with slack is running alongside the joist and is stapled at every 4-1/2 feet but there is slack as u can see in pic.

Can you please look at my revised initial post - I have added 3rd question - please advise me on that 3rd point

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks