1-1/2" Lav PVC piping. Short 90s throughout

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you're basically saying that this has no purpose...
That is a vent 90 and can never be used for drainage. You can tell the difference from a regular quarter bend, as on a vent 90 the hubs are touching at the inside corner.

You can use it for vent connections at least 6" above the fixture flood rim. But as it is more expensive than a quarter bend, its only use is where you are very space constrained.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fixture Drain is a term that doesn't come up very often and my reading of it I interpreted it as synonymous as trap arm from the way its used in other text. Something I'll have to look up and see if they're the same in UPC and if that gives me any wiggle room in our projects.
It is the same in the UPC:

"Fixture Drain. The drain from the trap of a fixture to the junction of that drain with any other drain pipe."

UPC also has a definition for Trap Arm, while the IPC does not:

"Trap Arm. Those portions of a fixture drain between a trap and the vent."

Cheers, Wayne

Plumb-This-That

Reaction score
That is a vent 90 and can never be used for drainage. You can tell the difference from a regular quarter bend, as on a vent 90 the hubs are touching at the inside corner.

You can use it for vent connections at least 6" above the fixture flood rim. But as it is more expensive than a quarter bend, its only use is where you are very space constrained.

Cheers, Wayne
:) I should've ended my comment with /s
I was referring to this: "1/4 bend on side never had a legit use besides vents aboove flood level in my practice or observation of other plumbing work."

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to be clear, that's a UPC rule, and the IPC has some limited allowances for that on fixture drains.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks wayne I guess that means long sweeps would never be required in IPC for lavs ?

Plumb-This-That

Reaction score
Simple, my initial install should be completely fine and it's within the dictations that a bunch of government guys and gals decided to be law. But I changed them to avoid an argument.
It's a LAV, you wash your hands, face, brush your teeth and maybe clear your nose. I have never ever in my life seen a clogged 1-1/2" pipe coming solely from a lav sink's drain. The problem is that these dictated laws can be misinterpreted and goons can ruin your day so best to ride the goon's wave.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
... And you'd be wrong. A good candidate for a plumbing inspector.
Yep made a mistake on it being legal in IPC appology I dont work in the IPC. no one in the upc would recomend what you did unless there was a reason to not use a sweep Its the legal minimum no sweeps for kitchens , sinks , showers or tubs either the way It apears in your code True its just a Lav but unless there is hardship I recomend long sweeps on the side and verticle to horizontal.

Reach4

Reaction score
It's a LAV, you wash your hands, face, brush your teeth and maybe clear your nose. I have never ever in my life seen a clogged 1-1/2" pipe coming solely from a lav sink's drain.
I have, where the flow turns from vertical to horizontal. My experience is very limited.

Even if not required, I would like to see a long sweep for vertical to horizontal.

Plumb-This-That

Reaction score
I have, where the flow turns from vertical to horizontal. My experience is very limited.

Even if not required, I would like to see a long sweep for vertical to horizontal.
I've already established that you'd fail me from your first post if you were the official ;)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've already established that you'd fail me from your first post if you were the official ;)
Well Id pass it in your jurisdiction but I dont think id ever get used to that code. I dont think reach 4 is like that . I dont think any of the guys on here routinly plumb this way maybe its minor but we do try to steer people to solutions that work well . sometimes in tough situation and a bit off code is ok and sometimes beyond code minimum is an opinion thats valid

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks