how to place metal conduit across copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

SeanAK

Reaction score
I want to put some outlets on the cement block wall in my basement. Power is running from the main box along the top of the wall, just underneath floor joists. Would like to put a junction box up against a joist, then run metal conduit down the wall to an outlet that will be placed on a piece of plywood mounted to the wall. However a few inches from the top of the wall are two copper water pipes (3/4" and 1/2") that run along the wall to feed the washer and a sink. The metal conduit would need to cross the copper pipes.

Can they touch? Probably a bad idea, huh? If they can not touch, then?

Must I bend the conduit over the pipes, then back down to the wall level, then back up to an offset to the outlet box? I have never bent conduit....

Pictures show current setup, wall where outlet would be placed, current outlet location. outlet with plug in it would be replaced with junction box. It is 120v

House built in 60's and has "character" The old wire running under this outlet is 220 and joins romex going to well pump. Like I said "character"

Sean

Attachments

• plug and 220.jpg
    plug and 220.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 58
  • plugwall pipe.jpg
    plugwall pipe.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 51
  • plug wall and pipes.jpg
    plug wall and pipes.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 64

Reach4

Reaction score
Plastic conduit, EMT, or what?

Since you mention bending, I assume EMT. I don't think there is a required separation, but if metal, I would at least put an insulating plastic between the two.

Bending 1/2 EMT is not hard, and even 3/4 is not that hard for the bit of a jog that you are talking about.

Rossn

Reaction score
I want to put some outlets on the cement block wall in my basement. Power is running from the main box along the top of the wall, just underneath floor joists. Would like to put a junction box up against a joist, then run metal conduit down the wall to an outlet that will be placed on a piece of plywood mounted to the wall. However a few inches from the top of the wall are two copper water pipes (3/4" and 1/2") that run along the wall to feed the washer and a sink. The metal conduit would need to cross the copper pipes.

Can they touch? Probably a bad idea, huh? If they can not touch, then?

Must I bend the conduit over the pipes, then back down to the wall level, then back up to an offset to the outlet box? I have never bent conduit....

Pictures show current setup, wall where outlet would be placed, current outlet location. outlet with plug in it would be replaced with junction box. It is 120v

House built in 60's and has "character" The old wire running under this outlet is 220 and joins romex going to well pump. Like I said "character"

Sean
First off, I'm not an electrician.

PVC electrical conduit can be warmed with a torch (be careful... watch videos) and formed (many electricians have resistance based heaters that are purpose made), though I've the fumes can be strong - so think outdoors, possibly respirator. Flex conduit won't require any forming. PVC and EMT also have 'offsets' available that are pre-formed sections. Be aware that there are a lot of NEC (and potentially local) code considerations (bonding, conduit fill, appropriate conductors, etc) for safety and compliance, especially when it comes to conduit. There are more considerations than just picking up the pieces and figuring out how to assemble them, and if you wish to be compliant you'll want to dig in. NFPA has free NEC access online, there's upcodes, and code check electrical has a concise wiring guide that has helped me navigate NEC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks