Regluing ABS Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Keith83

Reaction score
In an earlier thread I was given a lot of great advice on what to do about my current plumbing system which involved PVC improperly cemented to ABS. I've since removed the PVC portion and what many were saying about the wrong king of cement was clear when the PVC easily peeled off the old ABS. Now my question is this: I have some residue from the cement on the remaining ABS portion. Do I need to sand it off or anything, or am I good to go to apply primer and then the correct ABS cement? (I'll be attaching ABS the rest of the way so it's all the same material.)

Attachments

• IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 871

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I you can clean it enough without removing too much material and the glue can get contact to the ABS plastic, it will allow for a weld. Is it possible to cut back past the elbow, add a coupler and a new elbow, you then would have all clean pipe?

Keith83

Reaction score
I you can clean it enough without removing too much material and the glue can get contact to the ABS plastic, it will allow for a weld. Is it possible to cut back past the elbow, add a coupler and a new elbow, you then would have all clean pipe?

There's no more straight pipe left. They're all connectors. I would have to remove the entire system otherwise. Here's a pic of the whole system. Would an ultra fine grit Sand paper work?

Attachments

• IMG_1916.JPG
    IMG_1916.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,066

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
As said, clean it well but don't prime. Just use enough ABS black cement, rotate the connector quickly and position it in the desired position, hold for 15 seconds so it doesn't move/rotate on you. This cement hardens fast, you may want to practice on some connectors and pipes in the yard before you do what you want to do.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
ABS is about as popular as crotch crickets around here. I run into an interracial connection issue maybe once a year, between ABS and PVC. The chance of me pulling off a job and hunting down a can of all-purpose glue is slim to none. If I carried a mythical can of unicorn juice with me it would turn to jello before I would ever get a chance to use it.

Here's what I do: I use medium-body PVC cement. On the ABS side I slather glue onto or into that side and roll it around ten times or so until the dauber turns black. I move quickly to the white side and apply glue generously there. Stick them together. No problems, no call-backs, it works.

While I'm at it, I think the purple primer is a load of horse dookie. Unless you apply glue while the primer is still wet. (Within three seconds). When I apply glue to a pipe end that has been prepped with purple primer, the glue doesn't appear to melt the PVC at all. I think it's bogus, 100%.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The solvent component in abs and pvc is similar, but the dissolved plastic is not necessarily compatible or work really well when trying to mix them.

As Terry said, if you don't have any straight pipe left, and all you have are fittings, a RamBit or one of their competitors will ream the old pipe out of the fitting so you can reuse it. The socket will be straight verses tapered, so you may want to use a really good coating of cement so it can fill in the spaces, but it works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks