Need plumber opinion on which closet flange to use that is available (abs w/stainless)

Users who are viewing this thread

SGKent

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a duplicate. It is my first post here. I hit post and it did not so I will try again. Have to replace at least one ABS toilet flange in concrete. I believe it is an inside 4" outside 3" that was used about 10 years ago to replace a 4" outside original from 1979. I have ordered Reed tools to remove the present flange. My plumber has been busy and evasive on how he wants to fix it so I am preparing to do it myself if he lacks the proper reamer (Reed TFR400). The big question is which brand flange do I replace it with - it sits on concrete and the tapcon screws don't seem to have much to bite in the concrete so I cannot rely just on the screws to hold a simple replacement ring. I believe that the ABS flanges ones with a stainless ring are the best solution, and that using another (inside 4" outside 3") replacement will be the easiest solution - I do not believe there is enough room to remove the original exterior 4" outside remains, which were left when the original 1979 flange was cut off. Of these three ABS w/ stainless brands available to me, which brand would you suggest I use? This problem is holding up other contractors so I must get it resolved one way or another.

Ferguson Proflo - example: PROFLO® 4 X 3 in. Plastic ABS Closet Flange with Stainless Steel Ring | Ferguson

Sioux Chief TKO (I watched video how to properly remove knockout) - example: Sioux Chief Tko 3 x 4 Abs Closet Flange With Stainless Steel Ring | Ferguson

Oatey from big box store - example: Oatey® 3 - 4 in. ABS EZ IPT Tap on Pipe Closet Flange with Stainless Steel Ring | Ferguson

SGKent

Reaction score
I went with the Proflo one. Sioux Chief seemed overkill and hard to find at the stores here. Also did not like their video how much work it takes to break knockout free - those were some hefty hammer blows. That said, now to find a way to get the tapcon screws to grab. May have to use some anchoring cement, wait an hour and drill holes. The 3/16 screws didn't seem to have much to bite into. I have a TFR-400 that will cut the old flange out. Just waiting on my plumber who is coming by for something else to give me his thumbs up on the project. Since the pipe is in concrete and 45 years old, can't be making many mistakes or the new flooring would have to come out. I looked at SIKA anchoring epoxy also for the tapcon but my concern is that no one, including me will ever get the tapcons out once it cures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks