Primer with ABS solvent cement - bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Fixit eh

DIYer
Reaction score
So now I've glued up my next run of ABS drain (2"). My web research indicated that primer is not necessary with ABS, but it was permitted. I used Oatey clear cleaner for ABS/PVC followed by Oatey purple PVC primer followed by Oatey Premium Yellow ABS cement.

Now I'm reading on the Oatey website that they do NOT recommend primer with their ABS cement.

Have I done a bad thing? Do I need to re-do this?

Mr Fixit eh

DIYer
Reaction score
So now I've glued up my next run of ABS drain (2"). My web research indicated that primer is not necessary with ABS, but it was permitted. I used Oatey clear cleaner for ABS/PVC followed by Oatey purple PVC primer followed by Oatey Premium Yellow ABS cement.

Now I'm reading on the Oatey website that they do NOT recommend primer with their ABS cement.

Have I done a bad thing? Do I need to re-do this?
Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking it should not be a problem that would lead to joint failure. Also, this is one p-trap and washer drain, not a whole house issue.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The PVC primer could have a long term chemical reaction that would not reveal itself for a long time.
I wouldn't bury in soil or wall... permanently exposed should be fine.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree totaly with breplum. Contact Oatey tell them what you did and if you have time to call and go through the steps to contact and follow thier advice go ahead. If Oatey told me dont worry then Id leave it alone. other wise Id really have to recomend cutting it out unless its totally acessable. its probebly ok but probebly isnt good enough my opinion

Mr Fixit eh

DIYer
Reaction score
So - I called Oatey tech department to ask. The response was pretty clear - the primer will degrade the ABS pipe and the joint will fail sooner or later.

I asked if they could quantify the risk level. The answer "it will fail sooner or later and the leak might be big or small".

I suspect that there is some degree of corporate 'cover your but' here, but access is easy now and difficult once drywall goes up, so I will suck it up and re-do the job.

Thanks for the replies

Education IS sometimes expensive. :cool:

Mr Fixit eh

DIYer
Reaction score
So I pulled the drain section apart and re-glued with all new parts. The parts are impossible to separate. I don't doubt that heat/cool cycles would cause the joints to separate and leak over time, but they sure do seem strong today.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So - I called Oatey tech department to ask. The response was pretty clear - the primer will degrade the ABS pipe and the joint will fail sooner or later.

I asked if they could quantify the risk level. The answer "it will fail sooner or later and the leak might be big or small".

I suspect that there is some degree of corporate 'cover your but' here, but access is easy now and difficult once drywall goes up, so I will suck it up and re-do the job.

Thanks for the replies

Education IS sometimes expensive. :cool:
kinda sucks but just5 one of those things I cant tell someone its ok . I seen guys use clear pvc glue setting finish , trap adapters and perhaps a 45 under cabinet but thats still not a great idea either

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks