Bathroom floor redo discovered large hole in concrete slab

Users who are viewing this thread

dizzy123

Reaction score
Hello all. Redoing bathroom floor and peeled up old linoleum and plywood floor that was covering the cement slab and found a large hole in cement. Under a very old beam you can see my bathroom sink pipes under it heading towards the tub and then heading out in a teeny crawl space towards the actual stonewall basement. House was built in late 1700s and then the back side of the house was added onto much later with a concrete pad. Sink is working fine but how do I protect the pipes when I pour in cement to cover up the 13 by 13 inch defect. It appears that there must have been an old sink that was capped off and moved back more. I am going to have a person skilled in tile do the floor but clearly need to fix the hole. I am obviously worried about what happens in the future if the pipes leak but with this poor excuse for a house my motto is if it isn't broke don't fix it! Thanks for any advice. Do I cover it with tiny wire mesh or pressure treated plywood and then fill the rest with concrete? I am stumped.
IMG_5921.jpeg
IMG_5923.jpeg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If your tali about the two copper pipes, are you planning to use them? You might want to extend them above the concrete. You can place pipe insulation around them to protect the copper so it is not in contact with the cement.

dizzy123

Reaction score
If your tali about the two copper pipes, are you planning to use them? You might want to extend them above the concrete. You can place pipe insulation around them to protect the copper so it is not in contact with the cement.
Not planning on using those dead ended pipes. Just discovered them when I pulled up the plywood and found the hole that contained not only those pipes but pipes running deep in hole under wood as well. Not quite sure how to cover these all up so that the concrete is flush so I can lay tile over them. Thanks for your quick reply!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Is there water pressure in them or pipes cutoff else where? You don't want pressured water in them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks