I found that water heater relief valve drain can not be in to pan but can it be in a bucket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Mark it is simple stuff but we gotta meet that code or look bad doing rework. but if the code book is on your side you have a little peace of mind

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The way I look at the WAGS valve is, the T&P valve should never open unless you test it (and then, you can direct the water so it won't activate the valve). The advantage is, it does not require any power, immediately shuts the water off, and if it's a gas WH, can disable the burner so it isn't trying to heat all of the water that is being replaced from the leak. The more complicated it is, the more likely it can fail...this is pretty simple activation...the same thing that makes a life preserver inflate as used in an airplane. An alarm won't do you any good if you're out of the house at work, or if the power is out, a typical powered shutoff valve won't either.

Think of it as an insurance policy. You hope you never need it. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've not had a situation where a WH failed enough to cause any damage. I don't sell them or get any benefit, I just think it's a novel solution that would have solved that situation Mark talked about and the renters. They'd have not had any hot water, and things would have been fixed...lots cheaper than a $900 water bill.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I agree with Mark it is simple stuff but we gotta meet that code or look bad doing rework. but if the code book is on your side you have a little peace of mind

You realize that the code book is not the holy bible and actually most customers have not got a clue as to
what the code actually is.... and most inspectors dont really know what the code is....... many times I explain to them as to what is right and what will pass.... and you got to just let things slide without quoting the code book like you are reading scripture....... Sometimes I can see right through a guy when he starts quoting code to me because that usually means he is in-experienced.....and is leaning on the code like a crutch....

This is not space shuttle technology we are talking about here ..... it is just basic common sense
sometimes you have to go into that grey area with the code to actually do what is best for everyone and WIN....

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
1656531076666.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You realize that the code book is not the holy bible and actually most customers have not got a clue as to
what the code actually is.... and most inspectors dont really know what the code is....... many times I explain to them as to what is right and what will pass.... and you got to just let things slide without quoting the code book like you are reading scripture....... Sometimes I can see right through a guy when he starts quoting code to me because that usually means he is in-experienced.....and is leaning on the code like a crutch....

This is not space shuttle technology we are talking about here ..... it is just basic common sense
sometimes you have to go into that grey area with the code to actually do what is best for everyone and WIN....
Mark, I was only telling the code heights for a tand p it will get you called here for correction .

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Requirements for discharge piping.
The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or
combination thereof shall:
Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
Discharge through an air gap located in the s
ame room as the water heater.
Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
Discha
rge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
Not be trapped.
Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm
) above the floor or waste receptor.
Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.
Not have valves or tee fitting

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Requirements for discharge piping.
The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or
combination thereof shall:
Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
Discharge through an air gap located in the s
ame room as the water heater.
Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
Discha
rge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
Not be trapped.
Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm
) above the floor or waste receptor.
Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.
Not have valves or tee fitting
I like that Sylvan, My Code and UPC ( curious code is UPC with Washington amendments) and varies significantly with regard to Tand P discharge height . but always like to hear how things are done in other areas .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks