Water heater T&P valve pipe and pan pipe???

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
Going to put a new electric water heater in. What pipe is approved for T&P valve? Is PEX OK to use for it? The one I have now has some thin wall pipe on it. I have read conflicting info on letting the T&P pipe drain into the pan, is that OK? Also pans come with a PVC elbow so is PVC what you use to pipe the pan? I plan on plumbing the pan and the T&P to outside the perimeter of the crawl space of the home and I know it has to be 6" from the ground and pointing down.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
your code requires the t and p be no greater than 6 inches off ground . the t and p may dump into the pan and the pain can then terminate no greater than 6 inches off ground. your code refers to ipc 605.4 I dont see PVC listed So im suprised but it seems the answer is no pvc.

Eman85

Reaction score
your code requires the t and p be no greater than 6 inches off ground . the t and p may dump into the pan and the pain can then terminate no greater than 6 inches off ground. your code refers to ipc 605.4 I dont see PVC listed So im suprised but it seems the answer is no pvc.
That's interesting since the pan comes with a PVC elbow fitting to fit the hole in the pan to drain it off.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it might be because your code allows the t and p to discharge to the pan mine wont allow that. and we use pvc. You cant find a pan with cpvc male adapter? it could be that the code is ignored there. some codes dont make sence to me and some do we have some codes very differant example your code requires tandp discharge no more than 6 inches off floor mine requires it between 6 inches and 24" off floor

Eman85

Reaction score
I was looking at national code I didn't look at anything local. So your area says PVC is good for the pan drain? I looked at the thinwall pipes they sell as T&P discharge pipes, how do you plumb anything off of them if you want to plumb outside of the home?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think those discharge pipes are meant to just drop straight down of the t&p.
It can be pretty crazy which code is your area but generaly state by state at least 40 of the states are tied to 2 diferant codes either UPC or IPC but the state often a few of thier own individual items that they dont adopt in the code or has an aditional requirement. TN is based on IPC "international plumbing code"
I alway use copper for the discharge never used a ready made piece you could use cpvc start with the proper adapter and glue pieces on if you like

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks