Floor Drain question / WH proximity to Subpanel question

Users who are viewing this thread

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
Hello folks, after three long years getting ready to finish this project. I’ll try to make this simple and clear. Installing a Rheem Proterra 50 gallon Hybrid WH. With regards to subpanel, i have 28” from corner of utility room (where plumbing is) to RH of Subpanel. Code seems to say I need 30” side to side on panel, but not centered. - can anyone confirm this? Waiting for an answer from my electrician but he is a slow returner.

I am clear on all the plumbing of the unit itself except the floor drain for the T&P valve. I understand the 6” - to 2 pipe diameters air gap over floor drain but after reading code and searching the web, and reading a post here about floor drains for water heaters I am still confused.

can the floor drain for the T&P be PVC or must it be CPVC or copper, galvenized..? I have found CPVC pipe but no floor drain fittings. Any suggestions on how to plumb the drain would be great.

we have a 20’ run from under the utility room to a block wall to reach outside, so copper would be prohibitive and the crawl is super tight.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5215.jpeg
    IMG_5215.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 57

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
discharge from a popped t&p can be intense, so, a floor drain on a sloped concrete floor is suitable. Anything less is pretty unsuitable, just based on experience and common sense. Different jurisdictions often have their own bugaboos for perspective.
A floor drain is great for wh leaks but the t&p should be run to the exterior if at all possible.

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
discharge from a popped t&p can be intense, so, a floor drain on a sloped concrete floor is suitable. Anything less is pretty unsuitable, just based on experience and common sense. Different jurisdictions often have their own bugaboos for perspective.
A floor drain is great for wh leaks but the t&p should be run to the exterior if at all possible.
Thanks, according to the ICC code it requires a 6” air gap discharged in the same room as WH, there is not to a concrete floor but a tile floored utility room. We do want to run it outside, not sure how we get the air gap with the direct to outside, or am I reading the ICC code wrong? Or do you just discharge t&P line into a bigger pipe that goes directly outside?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
With regards to subpanel, i have 28” from corner of utility room (where plumbing is) to RH of Subpanel. Code seems to say I need 30” side to side on panel, but not centered. - can anyone confirm this?
On access space in front of the subpanel, you basically need to be able to shove an imaginary 30" wide x 36" deep x 78" tall box up against the panel. The entire panel width should be covered, but that still leaves some left-right flexibility.

Cheers, Wayne

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
On access space in front of the subpanel, you basically need to be able to shove an imaginary 30" wide x 36" deep x 78" tall box up against the panel. The entire panel width should be covered, but that still leaves some left-right flexibility.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
Floor drains are minimum 2"plumbing fixtures and will need piped with pvc.
According to ICC code T&P waste line cannot be pvc. I have done a ton of reading and this new code with 6” air gap in room with water heater and drains to outside in confusing. Havent figured out a good plan yet

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
6 inch air gap isnt required in NC, but my code has 6 inch mimimum 6 inch is your maximum and 2 pipe diametors 1 1/2 inches off floor be your minimum assuming NC . just noticed while replying you said a new code with 6 inch minimum ? I was looking at 2018 code p2804.6.1

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
6 inch air gap isnt required in NC, but my code has 6 inch mimimum 6 inch is your maximum and 2 pipe diametors 1 1/2 inches off floor be your minimum assuming NC . just noticed while replying you said a new code with 6 inch minimum ? I was looking at 2018 code p2804.6.1
Yeah while I applied for permit 2020, the way inspectors are here being up to date is pretty required. But check this out. https://www.iccsafe.org/building-sa...ter-heater-safety-in-the-international-codes/
I found this article written in 2019 about just this topic by ICC safe, they go through each number on the list required, and while they say there should be no trap in the line, pass the air gap there image shows a picture with a trap and the word approved. Kind of baffling. They also say an airgap shield is usable to protect homeowner. Very confusing.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Item 10 in what you posted in the blue writing points out maximum height above floor at 6 inches. I never forget because your code is opposite of mine

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
According to ICC code T&P waste line cannot be pvc. I have done a ton of reading and this new code with 6” air gap in room with water heater and drains to outside in confusing. Havent figured out a good plan yet
A floor drain is not a t&p waste line. It's a plumbing fixture that is tied in with your plumbing system. You should just run a copper t&p waste line to just above the floor and then the floor drain takes it from there and is just a part of your plumbing system. This is how most are done here. Especially in a basement.

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
A floor drain is not a t&p waste line. It's a plumbing fixture that is tied in with your plumbing system. You should just run a copper t&p waste line to just above the floor and then the floor drain takes it from there and is just a part of your plumbing system. This is how most are done here. Especially in a basement.
Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just keep it under 6 inches above floor and your good , agreeing with john as well

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks