Water heater drain valve drip

Users who are viewing this thread

Talan1688

Reaction score
Hello. My home's Rheem water heater is dripping from the drain valve. It is strange as it seems to sometimes spit out some water and then stop and then occurs again. I have a little plastic bucket to collect the water, probably about 3 cups of water in a 24 hour period. I was doing some research and understand that these plastic drain valve should be replaced with a brass one (a little concerned to do it myself as I read that the plastic can break and be stuck there.. also trying to save money to get plumber.)

In addition, I read that maybe a hose cap can be screwed on. But is this safe?

Besides these options, can I just permanently connect a hose to the drain valve to let the water exit to the ground? Any other thoughts?

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could permanently connect a hose to the drain valve to let the water exit to the ground. You could screw a cap on.

The fact that you said that removed any doubt that I had that the intermittent dripping was from the T&P relief valve. No relief has a garden hose thread on it.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Call a licensed plumber and they will remove the valve add a Brass nipple and a ball valve with an adapter IPS X Hose connector so you can have a decent blow down valve like we do on boilers

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id call this a perfect situation for a cap amost zero chance of something going wrong then next time you have a plumber come drain the tank let him install a new valve

Talan1688

Reaction score
You could permanently connect a hose to the drain valve to let the water exit to the ground. You could screw a cap on.

The fact that you said that removed any doubt that I had that the intermittent dripping was from the T&P relief valve. No relief has a garden hose thread on it.
Thank you.

Talan1688

Reaction score
Call a licensed plumber and they will remove the valve add a Brass nipple and a ball valve with an adapter IPS X Hose connector so you can have a decent blow down valve like we do on boilers
Thank you.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try a plunger first, if that doesn't work, hit up the hardware store for a drain snake. Usually does the trick. And if it's still playing hard to get, maybe some drain cleaner? But be careful with that stuff – read the instructions like your life depends on it. If all else fails, maybe it's time to call in the pros.
Ha Ha come on the guy wants a little help I know it sounds obvious but he probebly scared of it being a safety issue as long as he aint capping off t and p valves he should be safe

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Try a plunger first, if that doesn't work, hit up the hardware store for a drain snake. Usually does the trick. And if it's still playing hard to get, maybe some drain cleaner? But be careful with that stuff – read the instructions like your life depends on it. If all else fails, maybe it's time to call in the pros.
You in the right thread kimosabe?

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Hello. My home's Rheem water heater is dripping from the drain valve. It is strange as it seems to sometimes spit out some water and then stop and then occurs again. I have a little plastic bucket to collect the water, probably about 3 cups of water in a 24 hour period. I was doing some research and understand that these plastic drain valve should be replaced with a brass one (a little concerned to do it myself as I read that the plastic can break and be stuck there.. also trying to save money to get plumber.)

In addition, I read that maybe a hose cap can be screwed on. But is this safe?

Besides these options, can I just permanently connect a hose to the drain valve to let the water exit to the ground? Any other thoughts?

Thank you.
This sounds like my TPR valve (not drain) but I assume you know the difference? I've never seen a TPR with a garden hose fitting so...

I've capped drain valves before (easy-peasy) and assumed they have a gasket or o-ring or etc. that got damaged when operated.Or maybe grit got in the way of perfectly tight closure.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Here's my pick of the litter for an effective drain valve ... available at Amazon or Ebay.

DRAIN.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks