How to prepare toilet flange

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by RichardD, Apr 27, 2021.

1. RichardD

RichardD New Member

I'm updating a tiny bathroom by myself, never done it before. My plan is to put new vinyl flooring over the 2 layers that are already there and then have a professional plumber install the new toilet.

My question is what should I do or not do around the toilet flange to make it easy for the plumber to install the toilet.

IMG_0591.jpeg

Should I fill the gap with floor patching compound and then lay the new flooring right up to the flange? I'm concerned about access for the toilet bolts because this flange doesn't look like the ones I see online.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

Richard

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

1. I presume your wall behind the toilet is at the top of your picture. Measure the distance from the slots to the wall (not the baseboard),

2. How rigid is that toilet flange; can you move it up, down, left, right?

3. Floating floor?

4. How high is the top of the flange compared to the top of the new flooring?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The notches on the sides will need some room to slip some closet bolts in there. Is that a cast iron flange?

5. RichardD

RichardD New Member

To answer your questions:

The flange appears to be cast iron. It is solidly attached, doesn't move or rock. The floor is level, and the flange itself is level. The current floor consists of 2 layers of vinyl or linoleum. I intend to glue another layer of vinyl sheet flooring on top of the existing floor. The top of the flange is about 1/2 inch above the current flooring. The new flooring might be about 3/8 inch thick, leaving the flange about 1/8 inch above the new flooring.

Should I fill the space with some patching compound (leaving room to slide in the bolts) or would plumbers generally prefer to do that themselves in the process of installing the toilet?

Thanks again for any advice/tips,
    Richard