How to prepare toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

RichardD

Reaction score
I'm updating a tiny bathroom by myself, never done it before. My plan is to put new vinyl flooring over the 2 layers that are already there and then have a professional plumber install the new toilet.

My question is what should I do or not do around the toilet flange to make it easy for the plumber to install the toilet.

IMG_0591.jpeg

Should I fill the gap with floor patching compound and then lay the new flooring right up to the flange? I'm concerned about access for the toilet bolts because this flange doesn't look like the ones I see online.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

Richard

Reach4

Reaction score
1. I presume your wall behind the toilet is at the top of your picture. Measure the distance from the slots to the wall (not the baseboard),

2. How rigid is that toilet flange; can you move it up, down, left, right?

3. Floating floor?

4. How high is the top of the flange compared to the top of the new flooring?

RichardD

Reaction score
To answer your questions:

The flange appears to be cast iron. It is solidly attached, doesn't move or rock. The floor is level, and the flange itself is level. The current floor consists of 2 layers of vinyl or linoleum. I intend to glue another layer of vinyl sheet flooring on top of the existing floor. The top of the flange is about 1/2 inch above the current flooring. The new flooring might be about 3/8 inch thick, leaving the flange about 1/8 inch above the new flooring.

Should I fill the space with some patching compound (leaving room to slide in the bolts) or would plumbers generally prefer to do that themselves in the process of installing the toilet?

Thanks again for any advice/tips,
Richard

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks