Freshly installed sink basin and faucet leaking. Help

Users who are viewing this thread

MaRisaJ

Reaction score
This is my first project beyond replacing the toilet innards. I’m doing my best.

I bought a Glacier Bay vanity with Sinktop and a Glacier bay faucet. Everything is working fine on the water supply side but now I can’t get the drain to stop leaking.

I put silicone under the drain flange.
I tightened the rubber washer and lock nut.
After reading some threads here, I put some plumbers putty on the threads.

There is still a drip. In one picture you can see my finger pointing to where the drip is. I tried to put some plumbers putty on there, but then from reading replies in other threads it’s seemed like that was a big no to have it on the rubber washer.

Let me know if you need different pictures. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 8DBB1D34-E382-4EB3-BBF6-9973048B3513.jpeg
    8DBB1D34-E382-4EB3-BBF6-9973048B3513.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 537
  • 3FE48BE4-9935-4B75-8EBB-30D03F5BE8AC.jpeg
    3FE48BE4-9935-4B75-8EBB-30D03F5BE8AC.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 444
  • D54789BE-1E86-4880-B3EF-9CCA52B9C8DB.jpeg
    D54789BE-1E86-4880-B3EF-9CCA52B9C8DB.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 463

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use a stainless putty on the threads where the rubber washers slide over. I don't putty the rubber washer, I'm just trying to prevent water from rolling down the threads behind the rubber washer. Sometimes pipe dope works there. And sometimes if the casting on the lav is too rough and that is also an issue, I resort to Silicone and swear a bit.

I miss the brass drains that were so much easier to seal. With those a bit of pipe dope or putty on the threads and I was good to go.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The drain assembly you have is for a bathroom sink with an overflow. From the pictures is hard to tell if you have one or not. Generally, HD Glacier Bay products are the low cost products and most likely there is no overflow. Picture below does not have an overflow but only to reference the parts. From the pictures the amount of thread exposed below the jam nut tells me that the flange is not threaded down all the way or you have a sink without an overflow. If there is no overflow you need to get a drain assemble without the overflow slots.

If you do have an overflow:
Most of the time when someone asks for help with a bathroom sink, it's the same kind of leak. The flange is not threaded down all the way. It must be threaded until it bottoms out at the top of the tail piece. The two slots cut into the side of the tail piece, the bottom of the cut must be a thread or two above the bottom part of the sink hole, then thread the jamb nut up to tighten the gasket up against the sink. This gasket cannot seal any part of the cut slots if the cut is below the sink bottom.

I know it seems that all sink installation instructions now show to use silicone under the flange. Get what Terry suggest, stainless plumbers putty.

upload_2019-3-22_23-20-44.png
61UMdKF7ZLL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks