Users who are viewing this thread

Jack O'Voltraids

Reaction score
I've often got questions or just curiosity on the means, methods, and materials used for every day, taken for granted, inner workings of buildings like the DWV systems used to evacuate our waste. I might even sketch out an idea once in a while just to see if it's at all plausible. My recent idea on a home design got so into the details, I found it somewhat hinged on two tightturns from a toilet. If the turns aren't just right, they won't fit or they won't allow proper venting.
So I'll get to the specific question. Is there a 3 inch wye with both inlets at a 45° angle or maybe a 60° angle? Why or Why Not?
To give you an idea how it would be used, it would serve as the vertical vent while accepting the short, say 2-3 foot, run from the toilet. The kicker being that the outlet of the fitting would need to be at a 45° angle and preferably a street fitting if available.
Would that be acceptable by code with a clean out in the vent? Would it likely require a clean out and combo wye under the toilet? A closet bend would be preferred. Since the tight turns would likely not allow for further loss of height from the combo wye.
Thanks for indulging my curiosity. I might be building the house next spring if the details are all approved, but before I ever even investigate the permits(!), I want a plan to present for approval. It's going to be a passive house built on somewhat of a budget. It might just be a NetZero house in the end, but either way, it'll mean I accomplished designing and bringing to reality something to be proud of.
Again thank you!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are asking for a planar wye where the angles between the three connections are 135 - 90 - 135, that is not made to my knowledge. It's not in Charlotte Pipe's DWV catalog, that's for sure.

But you don't have to use a closet bend. You could use a 45 below the toilet flange, and then a regular wye with side branch vertical for the vent takeoff. If that's not applicable to what you have in mind, you could post a diagram showing where your fixtures are and where the framing obstructions are. Then we may be able to advise you on a good layout.

Cheers, Wayne

Jack O'Voltraids

Reaction score
If you are asking for a planar wye where the angles between the three connections are 135 - 90 - 135, that is not made to my knowledge. It's not in Charlotte Pipe's DWV catalog, that's for sure.

But you don't have to use a closet bend. You could use a 45 below the toilet flange, and then a regular wye with side branch vertical for the vent takeoff. If that's not applicable to what you have in mind, you could post a diagram showing where your fixtures are and where the framing obstructions are. Then we may be able to advise you on a good layout.

Cheers, Wayne

Here's a drawing of what I'm hoping to find. There's the toilet flange on the left over the floor(not to scale), a wall with the vent coming down, and then the obstruction below the closet bend which drops away under the wall. My drawing doesn't show it, but I should have drawn it so the drop was a little more underneath the vent. I don't think wet vents on a toilet are allowed, but in the event it's snaked-out, it might be a good design feature. Less broken porcelain or dirtied up bathroom that way. Let me know what you think?
Oh and a wye with a 45° on the end is a good idea, but if it fit, it would be just barely. I'm hoping to find fittings that allow some wiggle room for adjustments or the unforeseen unknowns of not knowing what ones doing. I've always preferred to error in honest before I'll say I know otherwise. Lol.
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 0_Untitled2.jpg
    0_Untitled2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 168

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, the fitting you've circled is not something I've ever seen in DWV, and it's not in Charlotte's catalog. I have at times wished it existed.

If you can move the circled fitting somewhat to the right, then you could use a regular wye with the side branch horizontal and with a street 45 on the top for the vent. That's slightly different than my earlier suggestion, but it sounds like what you described.

If that doesn't fit, another option that might fit is, from left to right, 3" combo for vent (or sanitary tee on its back if you are under the IPC), then street 1/4" bend, then street long turn bend. That may be more compact left-right, but might give you too much vertical offset (8-5/8").

A middle ground would be two 60 degree bends (one street).

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks