Cycle Stop Valves - CSV125 vs CSV1A For Residential

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Zane Bridgers, May 7, 2019.

1. Zane Bridgers

Zane Bridgers Member

OK I think I'll put it on an elbow to allow flexibility for future tanks with horizontal hook ups

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Zane Bridgers

Zane Bridgers Member

3. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Rather unlikely to be high enough pressure-rated for that.

4. Zane Bridgers

Zane Bridgers Member

5. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    There are a lot of filters that are rated for enough pressure to work before the CSV. And you are right that sand will probably not completely shut off the water flow and burn up the pump. A CSV1A will last a long time with some sand and debris, but filtering will make it last longer.

Zane Bridgers likes this.
  6. Zane Bridgers

Zane Bridgers Member

Do you think 200 PSI would survive? Any filters you’ve used for this application in the past?

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

It's the housing that sees the pressure. The filter element does not see that pressure across it; it only sees the differential, which would be low.
    I would put a pressure gauges around the element to see if it is clogging at all.

8. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    Again, if you are sure about the static level, the filter will only see 140 PSI.

9. Zane Bridgers

Zane Bridgers Member

That’s a good idea! Would be peace of mind if nothing else.

I haven’t checked the static level since the well was drilled, but we did it and our driller did it with us and we got the same number.

10. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You could momentarily deadhead the pump into a 200 psi pressure gauge, if you can undo connections easily enough. That should give a worst case pressure.

11. Zane Bridgers

Zane Bridgers Member

That would totally stress me out haha. Part of my motivation to get the pressure tank plumbed is to avoid accidentally dead heading the pump. That said I could definitely throw a 200 psi gauge there and run the CSV near it’s minimum to get a real world number. Would be better than nothing.

Unfortunately that filter is not NSF. Called the manufacturer. Next best I can find are the Rusco models at 150psi. Called them to ask if that’s a realistic working PSI or a marketing gimmick and they swore by it, but I think I’m better off monitoring it as you said and getting some numbers first.

12. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    Deadheading is how you check a pump. Deadheading actually makes the pump/motor work easier, not harder. You just can't leave it deadheaded for more than a minute or so, to keep the water from getting hot. But all pump manufacturers will say it is OK to deadhead their pump for 60 seconds.