CPVC cement seems thick, will the bond hold?

Users who are viewing this thread

lawrence t

Reaction score
Hi all, Just would like to get some advise from you pro about some CPVC pipe I cement together. I put together some pipe last week with a new can of red PVC/CPVC cement form Lowes, the cement looked think at the time but i didn't think much of it and used it anyway. Now after the job and the more I think about it, I just have real concern about the joint failing because of the cement.
The cement at the time of the job has a consistency like a thick gravy or a pudding. It was still able to get them on the pipe, it got on thick and I had a lot of excess squeezed out.
The bond did feel strong but I don't know if the cement at that stage would be go and hold long will it hold.
I would hate to close the wall without making sure they are OK. Thanks for any of your advise.

The picture of the cement was taken about 1 week after the job, it was a little better at the time when i was welding the pipe. The pipe i use the think cement were mostly 1/2" CPVC.

Attachments

• IMG_4047.jpg
    IMG_4047.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,706
  • IMG_4043.jpg
    IMG_4043.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,691
  • IMG_4044.jpg
    IMG_4044.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,376

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
when my glue looks like that I throw it away. just my opinion. see what others say. glue a test section of pipe and let it set up, then try to pull it apart.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
+1 for the youngster from Florida. I shop a lot at Lowes and they know if I opened that dried out can of yours, the manager and I would have a conversation. Did you use a clear cleaner?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The solvent in there will evaporate unless the can is VERY well sealed. It needs the solvent to make the joint. What you were seeing was the dissolved plastic after most of the solvent has gone. That is a filler to help fill the joint after the solvent melts thesurface of the pipe and fitting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That glue should have been tossed.

Your double lav is plumbed wrong. It will siphon the traps.
It should be a double fixture cross, not a double santee.

double_lav_rough_2.jpg

You are only allowed a 2% grade on the trap arms. Anytime you use a 90 or 45 to raise that, you ruin the venting. Allowing air to the trap breaks the siphoning from the trap. That's why you vent.

Last edited:

Layla-Gail O'Brien

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
when my glue looks like that I throw it away. just my opinion. see what others say. glue a test section of pipe and let it set up, then try to pull it apart.

I usually do the same unless I JUST bought it... but if it's new you should also check to see if you accidentally picked up a cold/hot install formulation or modified set-up solvent...

There are variations in each solvent-cement, affecting the color, the thickness - relating to the temperature the cement is used at - and the set-up time upon use... Thickness is expressed as light, medium, or heavy-bodied cement.

It makes you wonder how much $$$ we've chunked in winter-time because we THOUGHT last summers' solvent had gone bad...when really it just seemed normal in the warm temperature (and vice-versa)...

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
PVC glue, at least the clear, is very thin and flows easily. An old can, whether opened or never opened, will get thick and jelly like consistency when it’s old. Sometimes old stock at a retailer will be bad.

Some PVC glues are made thicker for heavy duty use or for using it with different pipe but never should be jelly like and doesn’t seem to flow. If you read the can on Oakey glue, it will state this.

At one time PVC glue was available in 4oz cans at Lowe’s and Home Depot. Most repairs jobs for irrigation would never need more than an ounce. But years ago suddenly the 4oz was gone and only 8oz cans was the smallest. Guys in the isle would gripe where are the small cans because we all knew an open can may last only a few months. I think it was to get more retail dollars from the shelf space. I can’t tell you the dozens of cans I have tossed in the trash. In Florida you are always repairing underground irrigation pipes and fittings.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are instructions on every can of solvent cement. Read what it says on the particular can in question and follow their instructions. If it says that 'if the cement is the consistency of gel to dispose of the cement' dispose of it. If you think it could have been gel at the time of installation, do you want to risk all those joints buried behind sheetrock and cabinetry?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks