Looking for advice on closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased my home from flippers who did a non-permitted bathroom renovation. As I am replacing toilets, the toilet flange for one of the bathrooms seems to be completely abysmal - looking for advice on how to fix this. The existing flange is a Nibco 5851 4x3. I bought a new flange today thinking I could easily cut off the old one at the lip and then chisel it to remove the old one as I have done several times with PVC. Looking for the best way to fix this. I should note, about 12" or so down, I can see where the existing flange is cemented into the pipe.Ideas I have to fix this:

1. Put a 3x4 flange into this flange and cement it all together and call it a day. This would lead to the flange existing ~ 1/4" above the flooring.
  2. Same as number 1 but cut the lip off the existing flange so it sits more flush
  3. Cut out (via an inside pipe cutter) the existing flange, add coupler, install new flange

I am unable to get a plumber out here for about 6-7 weeks due to their busy holiday schedules, my plumber is booked until Feb. This is on the second floor, however, the area is not accessible for a repair from the downstairs. Looking for advice/help, thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
I see you don't have a finished floor in yet, so that black closet flange will be well below the level of the finished floor.

After you put the finished floor in, I think you could add wax and a Danco Hydroseat. That will give you the screws to hold down the toilet, and take some stress off of having a thick ring of wax.

I presume you don't have access from below.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
cut about 3/4 inch off that and glue a 3 inch flange inside the pipe at desired height or dont cut any off if it needs to be higher