Looking for advice on closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased my home from flippers who did a non-permitted bathroom renovation. As I am replacing toilets, the toilet flange for one of the bathrooms seems to be completely abysmal - looking for advice on how to fix this. The existing flange is a Nibco 5851 4x3. I bought a new flange today thinking I could easily cut off the old one at the lip and then chisel it to remove the old one as I have done several times with PVC. Looking for the best way to fix this. I should note, about 12" or so down, I can see where the existing flange is cemented into the pipe.Ideas I have to fix this:

1. Put a 3x4 flange into this flange and cement it all together and call it a day. This would lead to the flange existing ~ 1/4" above the flooring.
  2. Same as number 1 but cut the lip off the existing flange so it sits more flush
  3. Cut out (via an inside pipe cutter) the existing flange, add coupler, install new flange

I am unable to get a plumber out here for about 6-7 weeks due to their busy holiday schedules, my plumber is booked until Feb. This is on the second floor, however, the area is not accessible for a repair from the downstairs. Looking for advice/help, thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
I see you don't have a finished floor in yet, so that black closet flange will be well below the level of the finished floor.

After you put the finished floor in, I think you could add wax and a Danco Hydroseat. That will give you the screws to hold down the toilet, and take some stress off of having a thick ring of wax.

I presume you don't have access from below.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
cut about 3/4 inch off that and glue a 3 inch flange inside the pipe at desired height or dont cut any off if it needs to be higher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks