Another Broken toilet flange thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
The flange did NOT come loose from the pipe, it was NEVER connected to it in the first place. The flange was placed over the lead bend and should have been fastened to the floor. Then the lead bend was "flared" over and flattened against the flange. At this stage, I do not see any reason to change anything, other than to screw the flange down securely.

Oh crap. So this entire time, if I built up the floor again, put my plywod, etc down and screwed down the flange, I would be ok? So this entire time worrying about the flange.... Hmmmm some thinking and choices to do.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Been busy. Went to the big box stores and could only find this. One is the closet flange which looks like its 4x3, next is the street elbow, and the last one I know is wrong. I wanted to use a 4" pipe going into the waste line just so that there are no clogs. Could I use the one with the street elbow? The thing is that the flange is goes on the outside instead of sitting on the inside.

andrew21-01.jpg

andrew21-02.jpg

andrew21-03.jpg

Andrew21

Reaction score
ok ok!! I'm just checking with the pros!! thats why I'm on here =) THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

one more question. Do they make a 4x4 elbow for the closet flange?

Andrew21

Reaction score
found an old thread on what HJ said:

"If something will go through the 2", or so, passage of the toilet, it will not have a problem with the 3" closet bend. You either have a toilet problem, or a drain line problem, but not a closet bend problem. "

guess that answers my question!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you even have enough vertical for your 4" 90?
That's why I use the 4x3 spigot closet bend.

The trapway on a toilet is 2"
Nothing ever clogs in a 3" pipe unless the tile guy used your toilet drain for a garbage can, seen that done.

replace_lead_bend.jpg

I normally just pull the lead out of the cast iron tee, and use a 4x3 flush bush into a insert rubber pipe donut.

fernco_hub_4.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew21

Reaction score
I found the same closet bend at Ace hardware! WOOHOO!. NOw I have to check to see if I have enough vertical.

Last edited:

Andrew21

Reaction score
Took the lead pipe out with the oakum. What a PAIN. Got it though. More pics to come. Thank you guys!

Andrew21

Reaction score
Progress here and questions:

andrew21-04.jpg

Question #1. Does the donut lip have to be all the way in? Do i have to tap it in with a block?

andrew21-05.jpg

Question #2. I know that the rough in must be 12 inches for my toilet. Supposedly this is the sheetrock, and tile (might change the tile). I want a bit of 'wiggle' room in case the tile I choose is a bit thicker but not much. Can I have a bit of wiggle room and is this correct?

andrew21-06.jpg

andrew21-07.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The lip on the donut should land against the cast iron, by what I see it looks good. Is it a snug fit both into the cast and on the PVC?
The rough should be 12" from the surface of the finished wall to the center of the flange. The actual need for a fudge factor depends on the toilet you select now and in the future. Some toilets have a fudge factor built into their design while others don't. The Toto Drake for instance has 1 1/8" to play with.

Andrew21

Reaction score
The lip on the donut should land against the cast iron, by what I see it looks good. Is it a snug fit both into the cast and on the PVC?
The rough should be 12" from the surface of the finished wall to the center of the flange. The actual need for a fudge factor depends on the toilet you select now and in the future. Some toilets have a fudge factor built into their design while others don't. The Toto Drake for instance has 1 1/8" to play with.

yes, its snug. But I can wiggle the donut out of the cast iron with LOTS of force. I can tap it in just for good measure.

The toilet I purchased was a Toto Promende CST424SFG. Instructions call for 12" rough in. I think actually its a 12.5" rough in when I measured it. I can make it a 13 inch rough in. Hopefully the 1 inch would give me some play. Let me know and I'll glue the PVC in tonight. =)

Thank you again.

Last edited:

wireless999

Reaction score
Help with this same issue

Hello folks, this is my first post. I have done the same thing as my closet pipe was lead and ripping up my floor revealed 2 holes in it which would have eventually been a huge issue.

As the picture below I have the same setup but testing the new donut with a PVC pipe attached I see leaks at the bottom of the donut. What can I do about this? Are there any other alternatives? I feel at a loss as I need to get this resolved. Thanks so much.

Do you even have enough vertical for your 4" 90?
That's why I use the 4x3 spigot closet bend.

The trapway on a toilet is 2"
Nothing ever clogs in a 3" pipe unless the tile guy used your toilet drain for a garbage can, seen that done.

replace_lead_bend.jpg

I normally just pull the lead out of the cast iron tee, and use a 4x3 flush bush into a insert rubber pipe donut.

fernco_hub_4.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Hello folks, this is my first post. I have done the same thing as my closet pipe was lead and ripping up my floor revealed 2 holes in it which would have eventually been a huge issue.

As the picture below I have the same setup but testing the new donut with a PVC pipe attached I see leaks at the bottom of the donut. What can I do about this? Are there any other alternatives? I feel at a loss as I need to get this resolved. Thanks so much.

4" cast iron hubs are not all the same size. It is likely that you either did not get the inside of the hub clean enough or you need a different sized donut. The I.D. of the hub should be measured and the donut matched from the fernco catalog. Some sizes can only be ordered direct as they are not regular stock.

wireless999

Reaction score
Follow up

Okay thanks. I did clean the inside out and it does fit even bettr than the pictures of the previous poster. My goes flush and "tight". However even though it's tight when I tested it, some waters out of the bottom.

Is there any other type of gasket or glue/solvent I can use?

Thanks so much for replying.

4" cast iron hubs are not all the same size. It is likely that you either did not get the inside of the hub clean enough or you need a different sized donut. The I.D. of the hub should be measured and the donut matched from the fernco catalog. Some sizes can only be ordered direct as they are not regular stock.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Okay thanks. I did clean the inside out and it does fit even bettr than the pictures of the previous poster. My goes flush and "tight". However even though it's tight when I tested it, some waters out of the bottom.

Is there any other type of gasket or glue/solvent I can use?

Thanks so much for replying.

Can you show us your setup? The donut and everything? That would help alot.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Ok back at this again. Had some family issues and health issues so I'm back on track and almost done.

Have a few questions though. At first I placed the flange on top of the spigot and it was a nice snug fit. To get it to the floor so I can anchor it, the flange dips foward and leaves a 1/4 or less in the back. But as you can see from the pictures, horizontally, its somewhat ok. This is all dry fitting.

I also read on here that the flange has a tapered fit. So when I place the cement on it should soften things up making it easier for me to push this all the way down.

so here are the questions.

1. I have a piece of wood going under the elbow so the entire trap doesn't flex while pushing this down. This makes things somewhat even but still leaves that 1/4 gap. Should I take it out before glueing it?

2. when priming and putting the cement on, do I have to do the entire end of the toilet flange? or will it be ok for me to push it down into the spigot? Will it dry before pushing it all the way down to get a flush fit to the floor?

IMG_0156 (Medium).jpgIMG_0157 (Medium).jpgIMG_0158 (Medium).jpgIMG_0159 (Medium).jpgIMG_0161 (Medium).jpg

lgndu42nv

Reaction score
replace_lead_bend.jpg

fernco_hub_4.jpg

I hate to bump an old thread, but I'm about to do a similar repair job and have one question for you Terry. Do you use any type of glue or caulk between the 4x3 flush brush and the rubber donut? What about between the donut and the CI tee? Thanks

lgndu42nv

Reaction score
hj - I opened this almost 5 year old thread. Why? Because I need to replace a lead closet bend, I googled "how to replace a lead closet bend", found this thread, and it has some good information. Isn't that the point of a forum?? I even said in my post "I hate to bump an old thread......" But shit, I thought bumping an old thread with a specific question would be better than making yet ANOTHER thread on the same topic that has been discussed before. Maybe not. Would you like me to start my own thread? Seems like a waste of time......

Anyways, if there is someone that would actually like to help me rather than bitch, my original question was "Do you use any type of glue or caulk between the 4x3 flush brush and the rubber donut? What about between the donut and the CI tee? Thanks"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks