Another Broken toilet flange thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Who opened this almost 5 year old posting, and why? I am sure the person has got it fixed by now.

lgndu42nv did. He has a related question, and he is asking for guidance for himself. I think he wants to know if he should put some pipe joint compound, silicone grease, dish washing detergent or just nothing on his rubber doughnut when he installs.

Last edited:

lgndu42nv

Reaction score
Thank you Reach4. Yes, I am wondering if there is something that I should use to seal that connection, or if a snug fit is all i need to prevent leakage. I think that the soap is simply to help the PVC slide into the rubber donut easier, correct?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yeah, soap would be a temporary lube to aid in assembly if things are tight.. I expect the answer from those who have done this (which I have not done) will be to not use anything. But I am not sure.

It seems to me that pipe compound or thread compound, such as Rectorseal #5, would fill small gaps. I am confident that would not be a common thing to do.

Maybe somebody has a suggestion for something that could fill any small pits on the cast iron and be appropriate.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless you use some type of lubricant, you will NEVER get the pipe to slide in to the bushing, but you do not want to use anything that would attack the plastic, such as inappropriate pipe dope or grease. Unless you found out what you wanted to know in the old posting, opening a new one would be better, otherwise we have to read down to find out what you are asking and what has already been stated in the previous replies so we didn't hash over old stuff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks