Water Main Using PEX ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Brandon Kelling

Reaction score
Any help is appreciated; while working under my house I found that my water in was dripping at the white coupling so I decided to tighten it ....which that fixed the leak. My Question is; what is the valve shown with the red arrow ? is it necessary ? The yellow arrow is pointing at what I believe to be a one inch PEX and the green arrow is 3/4 PEX... Is that coupling/ fitting okay to be used with PEX ? I was reading that it is for PVC. (The Coupling says P/N 731-71 coupling .) And should this line be insulated ? IT is currently laying under my crawlspace in Texas. Low's can be 10-30 degrees Fahrenheit.

mAIN2.PNG

My three questions are below.

what is the valve shown with the red and is it necessary ?
Is that fitting okay to be used with PEX ? (731-71 coupling)
Should everything shown be insulated ?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The valve is a shut off valve. Yes it should be insulated. Those fittings are less than ideal, but technically are approved. They used them to transition between different types of pipe.

I'd change it, but it's also easy for me to do. Some people don't care about things being less than ideal

Brandon Kelling

Reaction score
The valve is a shut off valve. Yes it should be insulated. Those fittings are less than ideal, but technically are approved. They used them to transition between different types of pipe.

I'd change it, but it's also easy for me to do. Some people don't care about things being less than ideal
Hey thanks for the response; what do you recommend changing it to??

Brandon Kelling

Reaction score

Also have no clue what the black pipe is coming in

Reach4

Reaction score
If you closed the valve (probably 1/4 turn CCW), take note of what stops working. Then you would know what this pipe and valve do.

Brandon Kelling

Reaction score
If you closed the valve, take note of what stops working. Then you would know what this pipe and valve do.
I know it is a valve to the main water supply of the house ; I just didn't understand why it was necessary to add another possible leak point when there is a shut off at the meter

Reach4

Reaction score
I know it is a valve to the main water supply of the house ; I just didn't understand why it was necessary to add another possible leak point when there is a shut off at the meter
A shutoff at the house is good practice, but normally you want it more accessible.

Is the water for the whole house going thru 1/2 inch PEX (OD 0.625)?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with the valve , but don't like the PVC adapter . yes insulate it all

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeff thanks; i will replace it ; do you have a product link or a name i can find a better adapter or option to go with ?
Not off hand Brandon. You know I took a second look at that and it looks like what we call a meter jumper that valve is usualy installed at a water meter and the space between those 2 fittings looks like its for a water meter . dont know why else its built that way

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks