Washing Machine P Trap Too High/Standpipe Short?

Users who are viewing this thread

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
The bottom of my washing machine 2” p trap is 25” off the floor and the standpipe is 19” tall.

I’ve read that the trap is supposed to be 6-18” off the floor and standpipe 18-30” tall.

It’d be a lot of work with the way it’s all run to change the p trap height. I could, however lengthen the standpipe without too much trouble if that’s be helpful, but the top of the standpipe is already about 48” off the floor.

The washing machine hasn’t been used with this setup, so I can’t say if it’s created a problem yet. Maybe just connect the washer, give it a go and see what happens? The vent isn’t yet tied to the outside...

Just hoping someone has seen/used a similar set up with a higher p trap that’s worked out.

Sincere thanks for any thoughts.

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
People have. It should work. Not perfect.

After re-reading your response, did you mean a) that it will work, it’s just that it wasn’t set up perfectly, or (b) it will work (but it won’t work perfectly, i.e. could be a problem at some point).

I’m assuming you meant (a) since working without problem is what I’m after, but just wanted to clarify if you’d be willing.

Again, very appreciated.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’ve read that the trap is supposed to be 6-18” off the floor and standpipe 18-30” tall.
That's what the UPC requires. I believe the IPC just requires the standpipe to be 18" - 42" tall and does not regulate the trap height. Which plumbing code is in force at your location?

Cheers, Wayne

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
That's what the UPC requires. I believe the IPC just requires the standpipe to be 18" - 42" tall and does not regulate the trap height. Which plumbing code is in force at your location?

Cheers, Wayne

good catch. It’s IPC where I’m located. It states that the standpipe has to be at least 24” from trap weir and above the top of washer. So that’s an interesting difference.

So if I add another 5-6” to the standpipe, that’d be to code. Of course, my box will be mounted pretty high, at that point. Not an issue for me if it make it work better...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might not be perfect to code but function shouldnt be an issue. we stride to meet code. the trap being a bit high I wouldnt be worried about though

Girafdaniels

Reaction score

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
Might not be perfect to code but function shouldnt be an issue. we stride to meet code. the trap being a bit high I wouldnt be worried about though

Appreciate the added bit of confidence. Last thing I want, like anyone else in the situation, is to have to redo it down the road because it becomes a problem.

Of course, I also don’t want to redo it now if I don’t have to!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if its not drywalled and your selling the house, or youve just pulled a permit for a laundry room and inspector is coming. It might not pass.
but if your having "problems " with your washing machine look elsewhere. if you have set the box and hooked up water lines but you have found out the trap was slightly high and your stand pipe is 19 inches , I see no problem with function as I said if there is a problem that is not it, look elsewhere, in my opinion.
As for being 100 percent to code , dont know I guess your inspector will? If not being inspected or permited potentialy could be a problem especialy if its extensive work like a un permited room addition in whch case the washing machine would be least of worrys

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
if its not drywalled and your selling the house, or youve just pulled a permit for a laundry room and inspector is coming. It might not pass.
but if your having "problems " with your washing machine look elsewhere. if you have set the box and hooked up water lines but you have found out the trap was slightly high and your stand pipe is 19 inches , I see no problem with function as I said if there is a problem that is not it, look elsewhere, in my opinion.
As for being 100 percent to code , dont know I guess your inspector will? If not being inspected or permited potentialy could be a problem especialy if its extensive work like a un permited room addition in whch case the washing machine would be least of worrys

Thanks, Jeff. I'll be putting up drywall, but wanted to make sure it shouldn't be a problem before covering it up!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks