Toto Vespin II not flushing properly

Users who are viewing this thread

LeftSeat

Reaction score
I installed a Toto Vespin II about six years ago. I selected the Vespin II because it utilized the unifit trapway as the flange was only 10" from the wall. It has never flushed to my satisfaction, often requiring it to be plunged and sometimes cleared with a toilet auger.

Seems to be getting worse. Very frustrating. Can there be something causing this? Is there something better?

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have a Vespin II in my home. It works great. Is there water in the bowl before you start the flush? Is the tube from the fill valve directed into the overflow so that you get bowl refill after a flush? The bowl needs to start with water in the bowl to help the siphon action.
What paper are you using? Charmin isn't good for any toilet.

LeftSeat

Reaction score
You could try a "courtesy flush" before starting the paperwork.

Also, see if you can work around this by holding the handle down for a few seconds while flushing.

I presume you don't have to insert the auger very far?

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/best-toilet-for-large-bms.60540/
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/caroma-is-problematic.6815/
I always do a "courtesy flush" since we have had so many problems.

Yes, I always hold the handle down to get a better flush.

Auger needs to go in about 3/4 of the length of the auger.

LeftSeat

Reaction score
I have a Vespin II in my home. It works great. Is there water in the bowl before you start the flush? Is the tube from the fill valve directed into the overflow so that you get bowl refill after a flush? The bowl needs to start with water in the bowl to help the siphon action.
What paper are you using? Charmin isn't good for any toilet.
Yes, there is normal water level in the bowl. Today after it refused to flush, I dumped a full bucket of water in as it was trying to flush. No help. Tried to plunge. No help. Had to resort to the auger.

TP is not the issue as I always flush prior using TP.

LeftSeat

Reaction score
3/4? Mine will go all the way through. Will yours go all the way through, because it should on all toilets.
Yes, it will go all the way. I was just estimating how much needed to go in before it reached the clog.

Reach4

Reaction score
Auger needs to go in about 3/4 of the length of the auger.
I would guess the path from the bottom of the bowl to the output of a 10 inch Unifit would be about 2 ft. So if the whip on the auger is about 32 inches, that would get you to about the output if my estimate happened to be right.

I used a 12 inch unifit for about a 13.something rough. I measured carefully to make sure the hole in the flange, represented by the yellow circle, was not offset so much that it blocked the path (orange ellipse). https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_2-jpg.35613/ The hole in my flange was fairly big.

I expect you did not do any similar offsetting.

LeftSeat

Reaction score
I would guess the path from the bottom of the bowl to the output of a 10 inch Unifit would be about 2 ft. So if the whip on the auger is about 32 inches, that would get you to about the output if my estimate happened to be right.

I used a 12 inch unifit for about a 13.something rough. I measured carefully to make sure the hole in the flange, represented by the yellow circle, was not offset so much that it blocked the path (orange ellipse). https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_2-jpg.35613/ The hole in my flange was fairly big.

I expect you did not do any similar offsetting.
I did not do an offset as you described.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had one TOTO that I removed Q-Tips from. The auger would go right by them, but they were hanging up the paper. After I had removed the bowl and removed the Q-Tips they were fine. I've also pulled out make-up pens, a sand dollar, small army men, toy cars. My cousin one time tried to flush vegetables from the kitchen sink to show me how cool that was. Then she saw the new grid drain I had just installed as a replacement for my tub drain and picked it out and proceeded to bend the arms holding it down.
"I hate these, when these are bent it won't stay in anymore."
Yep, after being bend the new grid wouldn't stay in place.

If you're having issues, my guess is that the trapway, which in your case is the unifit adapter needs looking at. I have one customer that flushes forks. Just a warning, they don't make it all the way through.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's more likely that you have an issue with your drain than with the toilet. It is also possible that when the Unifit was installed, the wax shifted, and is partially blocking the outlet. If the drain line doesn't have the proper slope, no toilet will work well, as it can only get up enough speed during the flush if it is dumping into a clear drainage pipe.

The pathway in that toilet has a pretty smooth set of curves, but there could be something caught in there. You may have to pull the toilet and look.

Some toilet augers have a quite small head, and they won't pick up an obstruction, but poke a small hole through it.

Reach4

Reaction score
On thing to try is a deluge flow. Hold a 5 gallon bucket, or bigger, of water as high as you dare and pour as fast as you dare. If there is an obstruction or squirted wax, hope the deluge washes it through.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On thing to try is a deluge flow. Hold a 5 gallon bucket, or bigger, of water as high as you dare and pour as fast as you dare. If there is an obstruction or squirted wax, hope the deluge washes it through.

Unless it's something like Q-tips. Water will rush right past a few setting in the low part of the trapway. Paper has a hard time though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks