Tornado in Seattle?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hopefully, this didn't impact too many people and especially Terry and friends.

Strange weather is one symptom of global warming. Expect weird stuff to pop up more and more places.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Across the Sound from Seattle, accessed by ferry or by driving through Tacoma and back up North on the other side. Very unusual for this area. We're already experiencing drier Summers with more fires. As a skier I worry about the climate changes.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
That tornado touched down less than a mile from my mother's place. Aside from temporary detours around blocked roads she was not directly impacted. In her case (and my brother's who lives about 5 miles way out in the tall doug-firs) I worry more about forest fires than tornados.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Across the Sound from Seattle, accessed by ferry or by driving through Tacoma and back up North on the other side. Very unusual for this area. We're already experiencing drier Summers with more fires. As a skier I worry about the climate changes.

I had not seen this on the news.... T
That is a pretty rare event...
I guess the damages were not too severe??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here are some pictures of the damage. Something like 250 homes were hit.

https://patch.com/washington/gigharbor/rare-tornado-washington-causes-catastrophic-damage-photos

In 1962 we had the Columbus Day Storm. At my parents home, we had ten trees go down that were taller than 100 feet. Those all missed the house. They had a very large piece of property in Bellevue. It made for great forts with all the downed trees, and broken limbs that we piled up and made camps. For a ten year old, it was wonderful.

Also in 1962
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-62-and-it-wrecked-bill-gates-childhood-home/

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Speaking to my mother last night, I got some detail on her experience of the event. She was driving to a store in that neighborhood when the tornado hit, and had pulled over to the side of the road for half a minute about 500-700' from where it touched down, due to extremely torrential rain causing visibility problems, clueless as to what was going on right behind/beside her. She ran her errand, and only on the way back did she realize something was amiss, with tree debris blocking the road, and major traffic jams. It took her almost 2 hours to get back to her house, for what is normally a 10-15 minute drive.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Even close to my home, in the last week, I passed by two instances where someone was on the side of the road pulling tree limbs out of the roadway so that people could pass. We have a lot of branches and trees that come down easily in wind. I'm planning on taking down the tree in my front yard, as it's the kind that wasn't designed for wind or snow. Something much smaller I'm thinking.

snow-day-2019-04.jpg

February 2019 and even more limbs broke off.

snow-day-2019-05.jpg

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Even close to my home, in the last week, I passed by two instances where someone was on the side of the road pulling tree limbs out of the roadway so that people could pass. We have a lot of branches and trees that come down easily in wind. I'm planning on taking down the tree in my front yard, as it's the kind that wasn't designed for wind or snow. Something much smaller I'm thinking.

This past spring I had three Norway spruce trees north of 60' tall taken out of my back yard for the same reason. The tallest one was about 80', with the center of the trunk 15' away from the house. The stump of the big 'un is 44" in diameter (!), and had been starting to rot at the core- it was definitely time to go. Why anybody back in the 1920s thought it was a tree suitable tree for a backyard in the city is beyond me, but some of my neighbors had/have similar trees in their yards- guess it was pretty popular back then.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking down the tree in my front yard, as it's the kind that wasn't designed for wind or snow.
Will you get an arborist to approve your tree removal, or will you try to slip that by?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Will you get an arborist to approve your tree removal, or will you try to slip that by?

I'm not doing it myself. I've seen too things happen. In my twenties I was one chop away from killing myself working on a tree that was leaning and almost down. My brother warned that the tree would split and spear me through the chest, which I laughed at. I chopped a few more times, then shifted to the other side. One chop, the tree split and dug into the ground where I had been standing. I would have been speared through my chest. And that was just cutting wood for sale on some property that my father had. We decided there were other ways to make money.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
I'm not doing it myself. I've seen too things happen. In my twenties I was one chop away from killing myself working on a tree that was leaning and almost down. My brother warned that the tree would split and spear me through the chest, which I laughed at. I chopped a few more times, then shifted to the other side. One chop, the tree split and dug into the ground where I had been standing. I would have been speared through my chest. And that was just cutting wood for sale on some property that my father had. We decided there were other ways to make money.

Terry, WE got HUGE trees around our house and have come close to getting nailed by falling branches
and falling trees a couple of times... I keep the kids out of the back yard when it is really windy around out house..

I just do plumbing , I dont need to climb like a monkey
up a ladder with a chain saw in my hand thinking that log is gonna play my way....

I have a few customers who are now in wheel chairs due to
fooling around attempting to cut down medium sized trees around their homes
one stupid mistake and anything larger
than a baseball bat falling out of that tree and hitting you
on the head can ruin your day and your life... real quickly

Wood is HEAVY,, actually its EXTRA HEAVY.. much more than you think
and it falls wherever it wants to......it shows NO Mercy.

For Sure...Hire a tree man and you go out and install a water heater

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score

Terry , what is your opinion about this video I found on line about Seattle...
is it as bad as they claim it is becomming????

There's a fair amount of fear-mongering in that movie but it's true that petty drug abuse and homelessness has risen substantially in Seattle over the past 2 decades, and fairly obvious to the annual visitors like me. (The row of decrepit RVs and campers at the VA center on Beacon hill is pretty substantial, and it's not the only camp like it within the city limits.)

It's also true than the MATS programs in Massachusetts & Rhode Island like the one they described in Rhode Island really do work- no panacea, but makes a measurable difference. (I have an RN degreed family member who administers outpatient meds in a MATS program as well as other psychiatric services locally in MA.) Whether converting the former McNeil Island Penitentiary into an in-patient center for addicts (as suggested in the video)) really makes sense isn't clear. It may larger in scale than what's actually needed, but it's probably worth doing the financial math on that.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Whether converting the former McNeil Island Penitentiary into an in-patient center for addicts (as suggested in the video)) really makes sense isn't clear. It may larger in scale than what's actually needed, but it's probably worth doing the financial math on that.

I will need to sit down and watch the entire video, I skipped through it. Yes we do see those sights in Seattle as we drive through. And it may make sense to make a place for them where they can be helped, and clean up the city, but removing people legally from where they want to be? How would you make a case for moving them to a place like that, even if it were to help them? And you're not dealing with people making the best decisions for themselves already. It's a tough one.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I will need to sit down and watch the entire video, I skipped through it. Yes we do see those sights in Seattle as we drive through. And it may make sense to make a place for them where they can be helped, and clean up the city, but removing people legally from where they want to be? How would you make a case for moving them to a place like that, even if it were to help them? And you're not dealing with people making the best decisions for themselves already. It's a tough one.

The video focuses a bit on the top 100 "frequent flyer" petty drug possession & disorderly conduct & petty theft individuals on a revolving door "catch and release", often arrested, rarely prosecuted or incarcerated, not the merely homeless & loitering.

Most of those people are addicts or multiple psychiatric diagnosis people in need of some sort of intervention/treatment/ rescue, not incarceration, even though arresting them for actual misbehavior may be the entry point to getting those services, if Seattle decides to follow the model used in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Lack of full law enforcement and lack of options leads to just churning the population rather than dealing with the problem. When given a choice between in-patient treatment initially in a locked facility with counseling and outpatient support after detox & treatment for months/years/lifetime thereafter most choose treatment over jail, and many or even most pull their lives together a bit and start making better choices, and it's measurable in the statistics.

The movie is a bit heavy handed, makes it look as if the Seattle City Council has been caught flat-footed and is unable or unwilling to take the issue head on. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that point of view- I find it hard to believe that Seattle's government is really as dysfunctional as presented. I do believe that beat cops tasked with managing the problem as arrest-only tools could eventually get to be as burned out as depicted. Those dealing with addicts and mentally unwell people have a high burn out rate no matter where they are in the social-services chain.

I know a former city policeman (in Worcester Massachusetts) who eventually became a psychiatric nurse dealing with addicts and mentally ill in a hospital setting, but eventually got out of it altogether, and is now teaching science at a private middle-school (as if THAT population were easy to deal with!) It's tough to watch chronically ill and misbehaving people deteriorate over time, and all too often die from their conditions.

My family member who is currently working in an outpatient psychiatric clinic that includes MAT management services for addicts and dual-diagnosis people has seen/known some of her patients for decades, in both locked ward in patient and out patient settings. A patient once thanked her for giving her the opportunity to have a life, despite ongoing mental illness, former homelessness & opiate addiction. That patient was a teenager (brought in to the psych ward by the aforementioned policeman) when first treated, now in her 40s with a kid in high school, and a job, but still needs the services to keep it all together. She's one of the success stories. There are many other stories that didn't end so well. Just leaving psychotic and/or addicted people to fend for themselves on the streets isn't a great option.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
We went to Seattle last summer when we came up to see Terry and it was sort of grizzley nearby the warf....
it seemed just ok, but their were tents set up pretty close to the tourist areas and we did see one nut-wad
getting himself into trouble screaming in front of some nice hotel....
Its basically not good....Seattle itself ... everything around it like where You live Terry is fantastic...
It is like its rotten in the core....and unbearable for the people who live there to deal with any longer
At least that is the tone of this video

I did see about the same in San Fran Sis co . My son
went into a public restroom and heard 2 guys in the next stall shooting up....
now that was memorable....

Its just a human wave of losers that is endless with no end in sight ,,, I dont know what you could do with them all
unless you just took them out to some kind of enclosed camp in the middle of Nevada and just gave them all the drugs
they wanted until they killed themselves....

odds are most are too far gone to waste resources on, but I am sure they
will try and try and try..... its a good living for the caregivers and re-hab centers.. .

soon its gonna be like the show "the walking dead" with literally feral people wandering the streets.....
then what you gonna do??

this might be a little radical...lol:D:D;);)

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My brother James Packard Love when he was in Anchorage Alaska in the 70's helped to set up some drug clinics to deal with opiate abuse. Anytime you can help those with drug problems, it's a better thing to do. Anytime you can save a lost soul, it's worth it. And it's hard. I have a hard time working with that. It's takes someone with a lot of patience and understanding. Most of what I do, is see a problem, fix the problem. As hard as my job is, it's easier than trying to reclaim someone gone off the rails. I admire those that have that strength to do the work needed to help those people.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Seattle is not rotten to the core, not even close, even though homelessness has been rising. The fear mongering in that video is a distortion.

Sending addicts and psychotics to the desert to rot or kill themselves isn't really a "solution".

The programs in Providence and other nearby cities really do reduce homelessness and crime while propping people back up on their feet, and it takes less money than arrest & release + emergency rooms for overdoses.

Several European cities and a few in Canada have set up "safe use" zones for addicts where they can be monitored for overdose and can get access to treatment. How that gets managed makes a difference in the rates of success, but that reduces the "shooting up in public restroom" nuisance aspects by quite a bit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks