Toilets and overhead clearance

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I need to replace a toilet. Unfortunately, due to the height of a vanity ledge, only 29 inches of vertical space is available. Are there any dangers of getting a toilet that is 28.5 inches high, and therefore, leaving only half an inch of overhead clearance?

So far, the shortest toilet i have found is 26 inches high and is a one-piece, the American Standard Tofino.

Would it be advisable to saw off a portion of the vanity ledge?

29-inch-counter.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Grumpy old plumber answer to 100 % of customers who have this: Shelf has to be removable or we won't have anything to do with it...
Unless you choose a Toto Neorest (love them) or equal.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shelf has to be removable or we won't have anything to do with it...
Agreed. or if i have to work around that its going to take 3x as long

It looks like you need all that shelf space! But could it be modified to raise that section higher? Have the shelf cut, raised with a small leg from the lower to the upper?

Unless you choose a Toto Neorest

A neorest won't necessarily fit in that space with the shelf above. The RH and AH models hinge 3" from the wall. Just measured the one in the womens room here. The old 600 would fit as it hinges 13" from the wall. but from experience working on them! wow would that be a pain.

Reaction score
Agreed. or if i have to work around that its going to take 3x as long

It looks like you need all that shelf space! But could it be modified to raise that section higher? Have the shelf cut, raised with a small leg from the lower to the upper?

A neorest won't necessarily fit in that space with the shelf above. The RH and AH models hinge 3" from the wall. Just measured the one in the womens room here. The old 600 would fit as it hinges 13" from the wall. but from experience working on them! wow would that be a pain.

i think the material is cultured stone or cultuered marble... would i be able to use a circular saw and cut that portion off? would the saw action crack the vanity or damage the wall-hung mirror?

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Grumpy old plumber answer to 100 % of customers who have this: Shelf has to be removable or we won't have anything to do with it...
Unless you choose a Toto Neorest (love them) or equal.

Ha ... I googled Neorest ... I did not know you could buy a toilet for 15K or a toilet paper holder for a grand.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
i think the material is cultured stone or cultuered marble... would i be able to use a circular saw and cut that portion off? would the saw action crack the vanity or damage the wall-hung mirror?

I would be very careful with that. I think most of that would be done with a router if at all. I thought it was wood originally.

A circular saw is going to be very rough, will likley spawl chuncks on the edges and won't get to the wall. But finishing with an oscilating tool might work. But then you would still have to finish the edges, likely with a router and finally by hand sanding it smooth.

I think you might be better off just finding a replacement low toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there are things in the tank that will need periodic replacement. If you can't get the cover off, or there's not enough room to work, you'd need to pull the toilet to do the maintenance (new flapper valve or maybe a new cap or fill valve). Those things don't last forever, and depending on your water quality, might need servicing every 3-years or so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks