Best options for 14" rough-in (2023)

What's the best option for a 14" rough-in?

• Kohler Highline

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • American Standard Cadet Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toto Vespin II with 14" Unifit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

morningside

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to replace an old American Standard with a 14" rough-in, and I'd like to get the most reliable 1.28 GPF toilet available in the $250-750 price range. Unfortunately, the options for a 14" rough-in are limited. I'd appreciate any input on these candidates:

1. Kohler Highline
2. American Standard Cadet Pro
3. Toto Vespin II with a 14" Unifit Trapway

The Kohler Highline seems like a great option, and I would just buy one of these except we live in a century-old Craftsman with a very small bathroom, and the edition of the Highline with a 14" rough-in only appears to be available with an elongated bowl that extends almost 32" from the wall. (The same seems to be true of the standard-height Kohler Wellworth.) That would fit, but it wouldn't leave much standing room.

The AS Cadet Pro is more compact, but AS seems to get mixed reviews.

Finally, it looks like Toto generally gets high marks for quality, and the Vespin only extends 28.5" from the wall, but I'm not familiar with Toto's Unifit system. Does using a Unifit trapway adapter to fit a 14" rough-in negatively affect performance or reliability? The Vespin II appears to retail online for about twice as much as the Cadet Pro (around $600 vs. around $300), but that's fine with me if it's actually going to be a better, more reliable toilet. This toilet is for our main bathroom and gets a lot of use.

What would you choose? Any other models I should consider? Thanks!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
That would not be a good use of space.

I put in a Vespin II on about a 13+ inch rough. I bought a 14 inch unifit. Since I was trying to optimize the distance from the wall, I used a non-standard installation. Pictures and threads available. I used the 12 inch Unifit, since the 14 inch had considerable resale value. Until you pull your toilet, you will not know the precise rough in measurement.

Will the Vespin 2 with Unifit meet your budget? I like it. Size from the wall is good. Not sure about the rest of your choices.

morningside

Reaction score
Will the Vespin 2 with Unifit meet your budget? I like it. Size from the wall is good. Not sure about the rest of your choices.

Thanks for the input!

Yes, I think it's within budget. Looks like the toilet itself goes for around $600, and the 14" Unifit is about $80.

Yeah, unfortunately I think the Highline is just too big, which means there's nothing from Kohler that works.

Peterson

Reaction score
Maybe the Gerber Maxwell? The 14" Rough In is 30.75 inches and it is elongated.

The Cadet Pro is too modern looking a historic house.

This is going to be frowned upon, but I'd be tempted to look at salvage yards for an older 14" rough in toilet that has the depth and style that you need, especially if you have a historic house with a very tiny bathroom. Maybe you might find an identical replacement? You would have to install it yourself or have a friend install it as most plumbers won't touch them.

Reach4

Reaction score
The Cadet Pro is too modern looking a historic house.

Toto Soiree is kinda retro-looking, and does not stick out much. It can use a 14-inch Unifit.
cotton-white-toto-one-piece-toilets-ms964214cefg-01-64_100.jpg

It is a one-piece toilet, and comes with a seat.

coelcanth

Reaction score
be very careful purchasing a Toto toilet to use with any other than 12" rough-in

I recently bought an Aquia IV which was advertised to work with a 14" adapter, but that size unifit in the particular model number does not exist yet to purchase anywhere. 20 week backorder they told me
so i am sunk

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks