Vent size for toilet, shower, and vanity for IPC

Users who are viewing this thread

Mayo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a bathroom group that consists of a toilet, shower, and vanity.

The drain for the vanity is 2 inches and serves as a wet vent for the shower and the toilet. This is all pretty standard, but the tricky part is when the wet vent converts to a dry vent, I'd like to down size to 1.5 inches. This is because I have a 2x4 wet wall and I can't bore 2.5 inch holes (due to building code) to fit a 2 inch dry vent.

According to UPC a toilet must vent off a 2 inch pipe. However, I'm in Michigan and it follows the 2015 Michigan plumbing code which is the 2015 IPC. In the IPC it shows that any pipe must vent off a minimum half of its size. So my 3 inch toilet pipe has to have a 1.5 inch vent. According to the chart a 1.5 inch vent from a 3 inch pipe can service 10 dfu, a toilet, vanity, and shower add up to 6.

Therefore, I'm concluding that after the wet vent portion, I can convert to a 1.5 inch vent.

Am I missing something here? I don't see any hidden clause that says otherwise.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess the wording in the section on wet venting would come into play here. Is there a portion of the wording that says "undiminished in size"? As in a wet vent shall be minimum 2" and blah blah blah... shall terminate undiminished in size blah blah blah...

@wwhitney would be the expert on these finer points in ipc.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Under the IPC, a 1.5" dry vent at the lavatory suffices for wet venting a bathroom group. The portion of the wet vent carrying only 1 DFU (i.e. a single lavatory) can even be 1.5", but 2" is good.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks