Toilet sitting high on toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Leno

Reaction score
My tile floor is mostly straight with bubble of level to left side within the 2 lines. My PVC flange is correctly on top of tile, but when I place 2 types of non wax rings, the toilet is very wobbly and back of toilet sits high even when pressed down. I'm afraid to use real wax because floor is not 100% level. Toilet sits ok with very very slight wobble when place on flange with no ring ( wax free rings ). My toilet is a Kohler and seems to be modern not old. Is there a fix?? Thanks I'll in advance!

The green one is from home depot and makes toilet sit the highest. See photos

Attachments

• 20190214_081728.jpg
    20190214_081728.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 20190214_081042.jpg
    20190214_081042.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 20190214_081625.jpg
    20190214_081625.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 289
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A single wax ring will work there. No horn, just a plain wax ring. This will work with your old Kohler bowl.

oatey-twist-n-set-terrylove-3.jpg

aquia-install-04.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If your toilet wobbles/rocks when you test with no wax, or other seal, then you will need some shimming.

If you are to use shims with wax, position the shims as they will be. Mark or hold them in position. Lift the toilet. Apply the wax. lower the toilet onto the shims. Some would cut the shims before the toilet is in place. Some would cut the shims after. You could just use two shims in the back to prevent rocking. You could go nutty like I did and level the rim.

My thought is to use the door and window shims as described here. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-rocking-toto-aquia.22416/ Mark the shims where the toilet edge is. Lift the toilet. Mark where the shim will go onto the floor. Cut the shims. Put the shims where they will go, using some tape on the hidden part of the shim.

Don't lift any side of the toilet after the wax is squished down to insert shims. If you must lift later, use new wax.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I generally use coins, but tapered shims will work, too. I've usually got enough in my pocket. You don't want wooden shims.

Leno

Reaction score
If your toilet wobbles/rocks when you test with no wax, or other seal, then you will need some shimming.

If you are to use shims with wax, position the shims as they will be. Mark or hold them in position. Lift the toilet. Apply the wax. lower the toilet onto the shims. Some would cut the shims before the toilet is in place. Some would cut the shims after. You could just use two shims in the back to prevent rocking. You could go nutty like I did and level the rim.

My thought is to use the door and window shims as described here. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-rocking-toto-aquia.22416/ Mark the shims where the toilet edge is. Lift the toilet. Mark where the shim will go onto the floor. Cut the shims. Put the shims where they will go, using some tape on the hidden part of the shim.

Don't lift any side of the toilet after the wax is squished down to insert shims. If you must lift later, use new wax.
Thank you !!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks