Kohler K-30812 Santa Rosa Underside Cavity Dimension..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Starglow2005

Reaction score
Hello...! Does anyone here know the bottom rim / underside cavity clearance dimension for the Kohler K-30812 toilet? The ABS toilet flange in my 1974 built home is sitting flat on top of the tile floor with no space gaps, and the ABS flange thickness height from the floor to the top flange surface is 1/2". I purchased a Glacier Bay McClure one-piece toilet shown in the photos but to my surprise the underside cavity height is only 1/2", so with the wax ring installed it won't sit flat on the floor and I'd rather not just shim it because I fear that it will crack. The old toilet is a Universal Rundle and it has 3/4" clearance underneath instead of 1/2" so there wasn't an issue setting it flat on the floor. I'm looking at the Kohler K-30812 toilet now but want to know what the underside clearance dimension is before purchase. Unfortunately no manufacturer includes that dimension in their spec sheets for some odd reason. I've reached out to Kohler directly but they referred my question to their engineering department and haven't responded back. Thanks...! :cool:

Attachments

• Glacier Bay2.jpg
    Glacier Bay2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Glacier Bay3.jpg
    Glacier Bay3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Glacier Bay4.jpg
    Glacier Bay4.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Universal Rundle.jpg
    Universal Rundle.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 31

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
If nobody answers (high probability). You might look for a Toilet Base Plate. That Glacier Bay junk is sub-standard. Also, we NEVER use WC flanges made entirely of plastic and s.s. metal flanges do not have such a high profile.
We use hard translucent plastic wedges, sometimes stacked, then clear silicone to cover the gap (when in a pinch). The wedges can be cut flush to the edge of the porcelain with a chisel and hard hammer blow.
61331451.jpg

tbp-koh.jpg

Starglow2005

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Breplum...! I saw those plastic spacers but not ready to go down that path just yet. I replaced the ABS flange on the first floor half-bath toilet with the same kind in your picture, which worked fine with the Glacier Bay toilet, along with a section of rotten sub-floor from a leaking wax seal. That project was much easier because of the crawlspace access underneath but the other two bathrooms are on the second floor.

Starglow2005

Reaction score
Just to follow up...I reached out to Kohler again today and they actually pulled the print for the Santa Rosa toilet and said it has at least 1" of underside cavity height. I also consulted Toto about the Ultramax II and all they said was it will work with my ABS flange height.

My plan is to dry fit the Glacier Bay toilet again with 5/16" closet bolts with jamb nut installed (preferred) and then 5/16" Johni-bolts with speed nuts to see if the toilet sits flat on the floor with either of them. Then I'll use plumbers putty to check how much clearance is remaining for the wax ring. If all of that doesn't work out then I'll dump the Glacier Bay toilet and buy either the Kohler or Toto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks