Help! Rocking Toto Aquia...

Users who are viewing this thread

inquirer22

Reaction score
We successfully installed a Toto Aquia about 1.5 years ago. We had it on top of tile that we had used. However It now needs to sit directly on vinyl on a slab floor. Unfortunately, the floor doesn't seem to be level. If you visualize the toilet as a clock where the #1 & #2 flushers are noon, and the longest part of the bowel is 6pm, the low part of the toilet that seems to seems rock is between 4-6pm. My friend is saying we will have to buy a different toilet to resolve this problem.. However, I like the Aquia even if this house is now being turned into a rental. What can be done so that we can reinstall this toilet?

Sincerely,
Nick

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Go to the HD door and window department and pick up the composite door shims. They are made from recyled plastics, and have a nice smooth taper.

Remove the screws that hold the bowl, and shim back of the bowl until the bowl is steady.
Then put the screws back in.
When that is done, take some clear PolySeamSeal and caulk the base.

Updated 2020

aquia-install-04.jpg

I'm now picking up rubber shims for my installs.

wedge-it-terrylove.jpg

Much easier to trim off from the bowl.

toilet-shims-terrylove-01.jpg

polyseamseal_clear.jpg

shim_it.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some people use coins, or the short plastic shims in the plumbing department with too steep a ramp on them.

I prefer the composites at HD in the door department.
They do a much nicer job of shimming.
We give quit a few of these away to help with customer installs.
We like keeping the change in their pockets.

Last edited:

Daddyblaize

Reaction score
That’s one to grow on friends, thanks for that. I guess I when a little overboard with the metal. I’ll silicone it down first then bead the toilet base and slap on that wax ring...torch wax or no torchy?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 151

Daddyblaize

Reaction score
Here’s a question I’ve been asking myself....can boiling water melt my lead bend? Thinking about ways to clean our toilet without caustic solutions ...and yes I’ve heard of the baking soda and vinegar idea

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wax will work best if its acclimated to the room temperature but can be installed at a great variance of temps. But heating it up .. nah.. its just going to get messy.

simple google search says that the melting point of lead is 621.5°F... thats a tad higher than what it takes to turn water to steam.

Slightly more complicated google search says melting point of one manufactures was is Melting Point 150° F – 160° F so be careful how hot you get your toilet..

Daddyblaize

Reaction score
I never even thought about the wax melting from the boiling water....duhh....all the work I’m doing to fix leaks and not cause myself more expense—and then melt a brand new wax ring. The time spent is the true injury.

Daddyblaize

Reaction score
What’s a good torque value for the nuts on the toilet bolts? I’m afraid of cracking the toilet porcelain, but it needs to be secure enough so as not to loosen.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks