Toilet Clearance issue on 10" rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Hall

Reaction score
I am trying to replace an older (approx 1961) American Standard toilet but cannot find a model to fit. It is a 10" rough in but there is baseboard heat behind the toilet which takes up about 2" of would be clearance. Looking for suggestions or a good source of detail drawings of different models so I can evaluate before buying (another) unit which will not fit.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The American Standard Cadet series in 10" may work with the heater behind the bowl.

cadet-10-round-spec.jpg

Elijah

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
Some 10-inch rough in toilets like the Gerber Viper and the Mansfield Alto look like they have enough clearance to fit but AFAIK, American Standard is the only brand that labels the distance between the back of the bowl and the wall on their spec sheets. Also if you want an elongated bowl, the elongated 10" rough-in Cadet 3 (Model 270AB101.020) has the same clearance as the round one that Terry is talking about (Model 270DB101.020).

dmzg

Reaction score
I don't know how to start a new post. I have a 2004 Toto Drake CST743 which needs replacing. I measured 11" from wallboard to center of bolt cover. How can I determine if my original CST743 was a 10-inch rough in or 12-inch rough in? The clearance between the round bowl and the closet door is 3/8" so I don't mind anything smaller but absolutely cannot go larger. I'm actually not thrilled with the toto because of the staining due to non-glossy surface so recs for another brand/model that would fit would be appreciated. Another Q: would it make sense to order just the Drake bowl since it works but is ugly, and just replace the ugly bowl but keep the original tank?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I measured 11" from wallboard to center of bolt cover. How can I determine if my original CST743 was a 10-inch rough in or 12-inch rough in?
If the tank is almost against the wall, I expect that is a 12 inch rough toilet.

I don't know how to start a new post.
If it comes up again, to post a new thread:
If you see the name of the forum you want to post into, try clicking that. Otherwise, click Forums, which gets you to http://www.terrylove.com/forums/index.php
Click the name of the forum that you want to post into.
On the right, click on "Post New Thread".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks