Toilet Clearance issue on 10" rough in

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Jim Hall, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Jim Hall

Jim Hall New Member

I am trying to replace an older (approx 1961) American Standard toilet but cannot find a model to fit. It is a 10" rough in but there is baseboard heat behind the toilet which takes up about 2" of would be clearance. Looking for suggestions or a good source of detail drawings of different models so I can evaluate before buying (another) unit which will not fit.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The American Standard Cadet series in 10" may work with the heater behind the bowl.

[​IMG]

Reach4 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Reach4 likes this.
  4. Elijah

Elijah New Member

Some 10-inch rough in toilets like the Gerber Viper and the Mansfield Alto look like they have enough clearance to fit but AFAIK, American Standard is the only brand that labels the distance between the back of the bowl and the wall on their spec sheets. Also if you want an elongated bowl, the elongated 10" rough-in Cadet 3 (Model 270AB101.020) has the same clearance as the round one that Terry is talking about (Model 270DB101.020).

5. dmzg

dmzg New Member

I don't know how to start a new post. I have a 2004 Toto Drake CST743 which needs replacing. I measured 11" from wallboard to center of bolt cover. How can I determine if my original CST743 was a 10-inch rough in or 12-inch rough in? The clearance between the round bowl and the closet door is 3/8" so I don't mind anything smaller but absolutely cannot go larger. I'm actually not thrilled with the toto because of the staining due to non-glossy surface so recs for another brand/model that would fit would be appreciated. Another Q: would it make sense to order just the Drake bowl since it works but is ugly, and just replace the ugly bowl but keep the original tank?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If the tank is almost against the wall, I expect that is a 12 inch rough toilet.

If it comes up again, to post a new thread:
    If you see the name of the forum you want to post into, try clicking that. Otherwise, click Forums, which gets you to http://www.terrylove.com/forums/index.php
    Click the name of the forum that you want to post into.
    On the right, click on "Post New Thread".

7. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

This Gerber Viper or the Gerber Maxwell looks like it might do it too. Doesn't give a dimension, but if I scale that 10" from the wall, it looks like at least half of that is open

Gerber Viper.PNG