Toilet installation - correct rough-in size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Newbie01

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an old American Standard Plebe which is over 30 years old (2 first pictures), with a 10.5 rough-in (I believe, please see picture and correct me if I am wrong). I would like to replace it eventually and wanted to confirm which rough-in size replacement toilet I should by, would only a 10 rough-in fit? The tank is against the wall, but the new toilets have about 1.5 inches of play behind the tank. But if my math is right, a 12 inch such as America Standard Sonoma will not fit??

I had somebody install a American Standard Sonoma (2 last pictures) rough-in 12 inch in my other bathroom a few years ago, and I see it is 1 1/12 inches away from the wall. Since that toilet is a 13 inch rough-in, I am actually wondering if I bought the right toilet size for that space? And would this toilet fit to replace my American Standard Plebe 10.5 rough-in??

Thank you.
Newbie01.

Attachments

• 20240121_172114.jpg
    20240121_172114.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240121_172135.jpg
    20240121_172135.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240125_144203.jpg
    20240125_144203.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240125_144344.jpg
    20240125_144344.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 47

jecottrell

Reaction score
I had somebody install a American Standard Sonoma (2 last pictures) rough-in 12 inch in my other bathroom a few years ago, and I see it is 1 1/12 inches away from the wall. Since that toilet is a 13 inch rough-in, I am actually wondering if I bought the right toilet size for that space?

It fits, so it works.

And would this toilet fit to replace my American Standard Plebe 10.5 rough-in??

No, the toilet tank would bind against the wall. It looks like you need an American Standard Cadet or Colony two piece toilet with the associated 10" rough-in tank for each model. If you use the parametric search on the American Standard Canada website and check the 10" rough-in parameter it will show your options.

Newbie01

Reaction score
Greynold929, thank you for your answer. There is no other solution but the 10''? If that is the case, selection is limited and since I would kike to go with a known brand, it would appear American Standard Cadet 3 would be the choice.

How about my toilet with the 13'', did I make the right choice to buy a 12'', or would you suggest something else (such as 14''), as I have another bathroom with the same measurements. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240125_144225(1).jpg
    20240125_144225(1).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 47

Reach4

Reaction score
Until you lift the toilet, you don't know for sure what the measurements will be.

My vespin uni-fit story/saga:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/#post-428138 my unifit mod post

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...nifit-or-stick-with-the-12.59681/#post-442544 picture with ruler.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...rance-with-14-unifit-and-offset-flange.66596/ has marked-up unifit photo.

There are also 10 inch rough Toto Drakes.

Note prices on that page are list prices.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its not a 13 inch rough toilet its a 13 inch rough in for a toilet . 2 differant things.
Id say one should take a 12 and the other is a 10 or you might be able to fit a 12 I doubt it but if you cheat the bolts and possibly shim the bowl up in the rear you might get it to work . how about an offset ring?

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an old American Standard Plebe which is over 30 years old (2 first pictures), with a 10.5 rough-in (I believe, please see picture and correct me if I am wrong). I would like to replace it eventually and wanted to confirm which rough-in size replacement toilet I should by, would only a 10 rough-in fit? The tank is against the wall, but the new toilets have about 1.5 inches of play behind the tank. But if my math is right, a 12 inch such as America Standard Sonoma will not fit??

I had somebody install a American Standard Sonoma (2 last pictures) rough-in 12 inch in my other bathroom a few years ago, and I see it is 1 1/12 inches away from the wall. Since that toilet is a 13 inch rough-in, I am actually wondering if I bought the right toilet size for that space? And would this toilet fit to replace my American Standard Plebe 10.5 rough-in??

Thank you.
Newbie01.
You would need to get a 10 inch rough in toilet.

Newbie01

Reaction score
BECplumbing, thank you.
Jeff, I think I'll avoid issues and just go with a 10, thank you.

Also, I have seen many toilets with caulking on the floor around the toilet at the base, mine don't have any. Is that something that is recommended?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
BECplumbing, thank you.

Also, I have seen many toilets with caulking on the floor around the toilet at the base, mine don't have any. Is that something that is recommended?
Yes it should caulked I leave part of it uncaulked so if the bowl wax ever should leak some of the water will apear on the floor ratrher than in the cieling or basement. caulking also stabalizes and keeps toilet from rocking and possible wax failure

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
BECplumbing, thank you.

Your welcome. Also if you caulk around the toilet base leave the back half of the toilet uncauked so if the wax ring ever starts leaking you can see it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks