uneven toilet rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Tomdude

Half Fast Handyman
Reaction score
I live in a house built by a family who drank a lot and said " close enough " a lot. I want to swap an old 5 gallon per flush toilet with a new 1.28 gallon model to save water. I read that rough in is measured from the wall ( not baseboard ) to the center of the toilet bolt. Problem is the left toilet bolt is 12 inches and the right is 11 1/2 inches. Has anyone ever seen this and how can I get a 12 inch rough in toilet installed? Would it be better to buy a 10 inch rough in to allow plenty of room between wall and tank?

Thanks in advance for any help

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What type of flange connection? The slotted flange will allow you to move the bolts. A flange with horizontal slots are pretty fixed.

Either way a regular 12" toilet will work just fine. 11 enough room.

Reach4

Reaction score
Until you lift the toilet, you don't really know what you are faced with.

That said, no way should you go for a 10 inch. That would really be a "close enough" action. We can deduce that you are not into optimizing.

What are your objectives? Keep the cost low? Toilet flushes well? (that one should be a main priority, even if not stated.) Or on the other hand it could be to maximize the space in front of the toilet, even if it raised the cost some.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
11.5 inch works, you dont need a 10 inch rough the holes are big and sloppy you should be able to adjust. not guaranteed but dosent sound problematic to me

Tomdude

Half Fast Handyman
Reaction score
The flange is PVC but I havent taken anything apart yet. I plan to install an American Standard Cadet 3 because they are cheap at Home Depot and have worked for me in the past. The toilet is heavily used and 5 gallons per flush is getting expensive :)
Thanks to everyone who posted. I am a plumbing novice and need all the help I can get !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks